2010 BB ZT muffler split open

krackerjack9

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok my AT is 8yrs old and got just a tad over 1300hrs, well the muffler split open and they want $220 for new one which I think Is insane sense other models the prices are from $80 to $180, so the two little header pipes seem to be in pretty good condtions so thinking of taking cut off wheel to them and weld in some box steel and attach either another type of muffler to it or add some more box steel and make the muffler out of it ... thoughts
Yeah it ended up melting my air cleaner box, so got to get some ABS plastic and fill that hole in

Attachments

• DSC00948.jpg
    DSC00948.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00947.jpg
    DSC00947.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 12

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mufflers are part of the mower not the engine so it is a case of low volume + warehousing costs for 8 years = high retail price.
As there is plenty of space a generic muffler should fit ok for $ 50 ( Small Engine Supplies ) and while you are there get a new air filter cover.
If the new muffler is a lot heavier consider adding some sort of extra support for it so you don't end up ripping the exhaust bolts out of the head.

krackerjack9

Forum Newbie
Threads
that's what I was thinking im sort of leary of trying to get the bolts out of the manifold, I be surprised if they havnt welded themselves in the threads, that what generally happens over time when you got two different metals, aluminum and steel. that's why I was thinking of welding to the existing tubes and just weld a tab to the outside steel to get the muffler some support. Maybe someone has seen this and they might have a better option or a better way of repairing. thanks for the reply