Engine 148Z Gravely 21hp Kawasaki starter problem

wrede

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having occasional starting problem. Solenoid clicks, but engine doesn't turn. earlier this spring I found the ground cable loose, and that seemed to be the problem. Today, it clicked but wouldn't turn over. I took a screwdriver and rotated the crankshaft about an 1/8 turn by prying it around using the top screen. It then turned over and started up fine. Looks like a dead spot on the starter motor?? How easy is it to change the starter motor? Is it a gear connection to the flywheel/crankshaft?

Thanks, Wrede

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
More likely to be a hydraulic lock in your engine, or a stuck valve.
Turning the engine around does not turn the starter motor.
If the mower is old or you ave done a lot of starts the gear on the starter may be worn out.

We need to know more to provide any meaning full help.
What is the engine number, what type of starter does the engine have, solenoid on the starter or solenoid remote ?

What is the oil level, has it magically gone up ?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Having occasional starting problem. Solenoid clicks, but engine doesn't turn. earlier this spring I found the ground cable loose, and that seemed to be the problem. Today, it clicked but wouldn't turn over. I took a screwdriver and rotated the crankshaft about an 1/8 turn by prying it around using the top screen. It then turned over and started up fine. Looks like a dead spot on the starter motor?? How easy is it to change the starter motor? Is it a gear connection to the flywheel/crankshaft?

Thanks, Wrede

bad battery?
Check voltage when you try to start mower

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
bad battery?
Check voltage when you try to start mower

If the starter is bad I would think that the hot wire bolted to the starter would get hot from current when you try to start the mower.

eliminate the battery as the problem.
that is by far the number one faulty part with your mower's symptoms.

Possible bad contacts in solenoid.

wrede

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm returning to this subject, having had occasional problems with starting. This is a 148Z Gravely with a 21 hp Kawasaki FH 641 V AS 21, and the solenoid is mounted to the side of the starter motor. The battery is definitely good, and I have made sure the ground connection is good, which is a pain on this mower, as the ground cable is attached to an engine block mounting hole, which is almost inaccessible. Normally, when starting, you hear the click, and it immediately starts turning over. On a hot restart, it turns over, but may not start. I may be flooding it?? But, when this happens, the starter rotates normally, but if you try for too long, it stops turning. It clicks, but doesn't turn over. Then, if you wait a few minutes, it starts normally. Is there an overload relay on these mowers? Nothing shows on the wiring diagram. Or, does it have a bad solenoid or starter relay? Changing the starter motor/solenoid assembly looks a little difficult because of poor access, though it seems like just two bolts holding it on.

Thanks,

Wrede

LennyG

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have this EXACT problem, I'm bad navigating these forums, what was the final solution to this? Can you tell me please?

I'm returning to this subject, having had occasional problems with starting. This is a 148Z Gravely with a 21 hp Kawasaki FH 641 V AS 21, and the solenoid is mounted to the side of the starter motor. The battery is definitely good, and I have made sure the ground connection is good, which is a pain on this mower, as the ground cable is attached to an engine block mounting hole, which is almost inaccessible. Normally, when starting, you hear the click, and it immediately starts turning over. On a hot restart, it turns over, but may not start. I may be flooding it?? But, when this happens, the starter rotates normally, but if you try for too long, it stops turning. It clicks, but doesn't turn over. Then, if you wait a few minutes, it starts normally. Is there an overload relay on these mowers? Nothing shows on the wiring diagram. Or, does it have a bad solenoid or starter relay? Changing the starter motor/solenoid assembly looks a little difficult because of poor access, though it seems like just two bolts holding it on.