Chipper shredder impeller stuck on shaft

anonymouse

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman chipper shredder (model 247.795861). I am trying to remove the engine to use it in a go kart.

Most of the disassembly went smoothly, until I got to the impeller. I have done extensive research, and tried everything to remove it. I’ve tried prying at it, screwing in the center bolt, prying, and hitting it with a hammer, spraying PB Blaster down the bolt hole and where the impeller and crankshaft meet, and a 10 inch gear puller pushing on the center bolt. Nothing has made the impeller budge. I am beginning to suspect that it is welded on.

What could be holding the impeller on? Is it rusted in place, or was it welded during assembly? Any help would be appreciated.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
unless you want to save the impeller cut it off, split it with a cutting wheel, or saws all. If you are trying to save the impeller try some heat.

anonymouse

Forum Newbie
Threads
unless you want to save the impeller cut it off, split it with a cutting wheel, or saws all. If you are trying to save the impeller try some heat.
I am not interested in saving the impeller. How might I go about cutting it off?

anonymouse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have removed the impeller! :smile: For anyone with a similar chipper and similar problem, here is the solution:

The center bolt that holds the impeller on engages threads on the crankshaft of the engine. (For the record, the bolt is 3/8" in diameter.) The larger threads on the impeller are for removal.

Since the threads on the impeller are larger, that means that screwing in a bolt puts pressure on the crankshaft, forcing the impeller off.

I went to the local hardware store and purchased a long 7/16" bolt to engage the impeller threads. I then tightened it onto the impeller, and it popped off! (Depending on how stuck your impeller is, this may take a lot of effort.) You need to be careful doing this - I bent the flywheel key on my engine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have removed the impeller! :smile: For anyone with a similar chipper and similar problem, here is the solution:

The center bolt that holds the impeller on engages threads on the crankshaft of the engine. (For the record, the bolt is 3/8" in diameter.) The larger threads on the impeller are for removal.

Since the threads on the impeller are larger, that means that screwing in a bolt puts pressure on the crankshaft, forcing the impeller off.

I went to the local hardware store and purchased a long 7/16" bolt to engage the impeller threads. I then tightened it onto the impeller, and it popped off! (Depending on how stuck your impeller is, this may take a lot of effort.) You need to be careful doing this - I bent the flywheel key on my engine.

Guess you were holding the flywheel somehow to keep the crank from turning, could have removed spark-plug and inserted a "wound-up" rag into the hole on the compression stroke, would have done the same thing.......

YuCrew

Forum Newbie
Threads
How to remove Chipper shredder impeller stuck on shaft

Guess you were holding the flywheel somehow to keep the crank from turning, could have removed spark-plug and inserted a "wound-up" rag into the hole on the compression stroke, would have done the same thing.......

Here's a youtube video showing how to make or buy and use the proper tool. 7/16"-20 rod is only part of the solution and you may or may not damage the threads at the end of the crankshaft without the modification shown in the video:

bit.ly/2EnY27x

https://youtu.be/3-l00TLJK6s