Question on speed

Dadillac

Threads
Is it true that mowers come with a break in oil? I just assumed they were filled with standard oil. So I cut the lawn just now and decided to do a double cut. Did the second pass at a higher rate of speed. Lawn came out better this way. Did the first cut slowly. Slower than I usually do. Guess it's a good thing my lawn is fairly small. So even with the double cut I am still about half the time of using the push mower. Plus my bad knees and lower back feel great.

Don

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it true that mowers come with a break in oil? Don- Not sure if your Briggs does, Your Owners manual should CLEARLY state this. But my neighbor just got a V-2 Briggs on a Simplicity Z, & it says to change the oil @ 8 hours. So I did the oil & filter change showing him what he will be needing to do next time.

I just assumed they were filled with standard oil. Not an area to go on an assumption. I would rather be safe than sorry.

So I cut the lawn just now and decided to do a double cut. Did the second pass at a higher rate of speed. Lawn came out better this way. Think of it like shaving, you pull the razor up & then down in same place, to get the cleanest shave. Did the first cut slowly. Slower than I usually do. What happens is on 1st pass some grass gets pushed down, then coming back opposite direction, you get those others. Guess it's a good thing my lawn is fairly small. So even with the double cut I am still about half the time of using the push mower. Cool. Plus my bad knees and lower back feel great. There ya go: Winner Winner.

Don

Dadillac

Threads
I just read the manual and it does state that a 5 hour oil change is needed. It does not state that the oil filter needs changing. I will assume that any 5w30 oil will be sufficient? Nothing special for the B&S engine? I guess now I have to read the engine manual.

Don

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, great you finally read the manual. Last thing you want is "Break in Oil" in longer than 5 hours. That oil will scrub out the rings & cylinders & etc. In other words that engine would have a short life.

Air cooled oil does have different properties in it, compared to car oil. Briggs oil & filter is Cheap insurance, to get a good start on this new engine.

5 hour oil change will have the most 'wear in' junk in it. I'd do the oil filter as well. If you have Tractor Supply or even WalMart, you can get the proper stuff.

But it's your mower.................................... I know my Kawasaki gets the best treatment.

PS: You don't have to read anything. But don't you want the money you spent to last in your investment ?

Dadillac

Threads
Engine manual shows 5w30 synthetic for all year use. Just ordered filters and B&S synthetic oil from Amazon. Enough for three oil changes. Sticking with the B&S yellow oil filter. I'm sure that other brands are probably fine to use but I always stay with OEM oil filters on all my engines.

Don

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine manual shows 5w30 synthetic for all year use. Just ordered filters and B&S synthetic oil from Amazon. Enough for three oil changes. Sticking with the B&S yellow oil filter. I'm sure that other brands are probably fine to use but I always stay with OEM oil filters on all my engines.

Don
Just be sure that is what you're getting.

I've seen a lot of comments on Amazon about air filters advertised as "OEM" Kawasaki and when the buyer gets them, they are knock-offs.

Dadillac

Threads
Just be sure that is what you're getting.

I've seen a lot of comments on Amazon about air filters advertised as "OEM" Kawasaki and when the buyer gets them, they are knock-offs.

Yeah that would P me off. The pics in the ad definitely show OEM parts.

Don

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes the pics seem to always show OEM, it's what you get that's important.

If you don't get OEM B&S, send them back. I also have read many ppl getting aftermarket filters @ Amazon, when they ordered OEM. I have been reluctant to buy from them or ebay for that matter.

I just scored 4 fresh OEM Kawasaki oil filters for $7. each, at Ace Hardware, they sell Dixie Choppers so they carry Kaw OEM stuff.

They had a 30% off sale I called & they said they had my 49065-7007 filters, & when I got there, they were sold out, Arrrgh !!!!, so the gave me a rain check with more off the price.
But wouldn't allow me to get more than 4, at that price.

BoylermanCT

Threads
Once you have the oil changed, you can mow as fast as the mower will go assuming it is cutting the lawn properly. If the cut is leaving something to be desired, slow down. I mowed with my Craftsman at full speed all the time. The cut was always nice and I have over 500 hours on the mower. Change the oil once a season and with luck the mower will last a long time!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every mower should be run at full throttle.