Question on speed

Dadillac

Threads
Just bought my first lawn tractor about a month ago. Bought the Craftsman 27333 (T3100) and loving it so far. Came with 46" stamped deck and 20 hp B&S V-twin. I have a question about mower speed and cut quality. So far I have been mowing at slightly faster than walking speed. Maybe about 3mph. For the record I walk at a slow 2 mph pace. I always have been a slow walker. Now the tractor will do 5.5 mph. If I should pick up the pace and mow faster will I see a difference in the cut quality? If yes will it be a better cut or an uneven cut? I know I could just get on her and let her rip but I would rather ask for knowledge before doing that. Thanks in advance

Don

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would think quality of cut would be very dependent upon how much you're taking off the grass, wetness, etc. If you're only taking off 1/2" you have a much better chance at a good cut than if you're taking off 3 or 4". The deck can only clear out a certain volume of clippings per second.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
In general faster speed will result in poorer cut quality. If you are mulching you will generally need to mow slower than discharging.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t forget, always run your unit at full throttle and adjust your speed with the pedal, not the throttle.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The blade speed is another factor to consider, and faster is harder on the spindles as they try & keep up. You will see a difference in the cut quality, but if you double mow, you could let her loose when going over the previous cut.

And the deck height markings where you select height, are seldom correct, best to air tires to spec listed in your owners manual, & with mower on level surface, measure blade tip to ground, by following the manual directions.

That will get you best cut & you will know Exactly what height you are actually cutting. Reason I mention this is many machines are not set up as accurate as one might think. Check yourself & you will know for sure.

Congrats on your new machine & enjoy.

Dadillac

Threads
Thanks guys. I guess I'll keep it on the slow side. I rarely double cut but do on occasion. I have been mowing frequently, because mowing is actually fun now, and it is difficult to see my cut line. As the grass hasn't grown too much. So I am overlapping quite a bit. Right now I haven't mowed since last Sunday. I am trying to get the grass longer. Last two cuts have been at maximum height on the deck. I have been mowing at about 2.5 to 3 inches for a couple of years. Trying to get the lawn at 4 inches. Some of it is growing and some is lagging way behind. Thanks again

Don

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only double cut if I see some cuttings left, because they can hurt grass new growth. But cut fine enough, is good for the lawn.

Your rider is not even broken in yet, does your manual say to do an early oil change, like @ 8 hours or so ? Very good for new engines.

Is your rider capable of cutting @ 4", I would measure blade tip to ground & be sure.

Dadillac

Threads
I only double cut if I see some cuttings left, because they can hurt grass new growth. But cut fine enough, is good for the lawn.

Your rider is not even broken in yet, does your manual say to do an early oil change, like @ 8 hours or so ? Very good for new engines.

Is your rider capable of cutting @ 4", I would measure blade tip to ground & be sure.
When I got delivery of the mower it had an assembly list. Part of that was adjusting the deck height. I set the lever at 3 inches as per the instructions and had to adjust the right side upwards. The max height is 4 inches all the way up. I did not measure the blades at that height. Just figuring if 3" is set right that 4" should be also. Not sure about the initial oil change. The hour meter is supposed to tell me when to change it. I will have to look in the manual to see if an early first change is required. Thanks for the heads up

Don

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cool, my former craftsman riders recommended the deck to have a slight pitch to the front. 1/16" - 5/16" fall to front, for best quality of cut. That is with tires aired up to book specs first.

Many mowers have "Break-in" oil in them from new, & best to get that out @ 5 hours or so, for nice long engine life. your book should say.

My craftsmans never said to do that, but yours may, Being an engine builder I would do it anyway. Oil is cheapest thing on mower.