Question on speed

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
We didn't get to complete the chat. She posted she was checking things out and it stalled for about an hour. When I checked after that time it said that chat was temporarily down. But after checking out the pics I knew I was good to go.

Don
Not necessarily. Some counterfeit filters are very good knock-offs of the originals--until you cut them open.

If it was me, I'd call that Briggs person (or chat, or email) and tell them you bought an XYZ Briggs filter but it came in an ABC box and you'd be glad to trade them for the correct filter.

If you're in a rush to change oil, go to a Briggs dealer and buy a filter. The one Briggs sends you will be for your next oil & filter change.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not setting off to Mars.
It is a mower, not a rocket ship.
Briggs do all of their filters , loose in 12 packs for workshops and in single retail sale boxes.
They also do them in std, black & in high capacity , yellow.
All 4 of these are interchangable ( as are about 40 other filters ) and each one has a different B & S part number.
The length of time it is on there is far more important than the actual filter.

Unless you have a "Full Pressure Lubrication" model Briggs, most times the filter simply pulls oil out from the sump, passes it through the filter then returns it to the sump via the bottom bearing.

FWIW I only keep 4 filters for me to use and am yet to see an engine I service have oil delivery problems.
OTOH I have 32 different retail pack oil filters because that is what customers want to buy so there is no point is argueing, sell them what they want .
I actually make a higher mark up from selling genuine B & S filters so every one is happy

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are not setting off to Mars.
It is a mower, not a rocket ship.
Briggs do all of their filters , loose in 12 packs for workshops and in single retail sale boxes.
They also do them in std, black & in high capacity , yellow.
All 4 of these are interchangable ( as are about 40 other filters ) and each one has a different B & S part number.
The length of time it is on there is far more important than the actual filter.

Unless you have a "Full Pressure Lubrication" model Briggs, most times the filter simply pulls oil out from the sump, passes it through the filter then returns it to the sump via the bottom bearing.

FWIW I only keep 4 filters for me to use and am yet to see an engine I service have oil delivery problems.
OTOH I have 32 different retail pack oil filters because that is what customers want to buy so there is no point is argueing, sell them what they want .
I actually make a higher mark up from selling genuine B & S filters so every one is happy

You miss the point entirely. There IS a box and it does NOT match the filter that came in it. Is Briggs in the habit of throwing any filter in any box and then leaving it to the customer to figure out what filters interchange? I really, really doubt that.

That alone would be reason enough for me to set that filter aside. One phone call, to finish up the chat session that was started but not finished, will probably get a new, known-to-be-Briggs filter in the mail.

But if that's too much trouble, by all means screw on any filter that will fit the flange, genuine or counterfeit. It's probably painted just like a real Briggs filter and that Chinese-newspaper filtering media will work just fine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the filter was bought from an authorised Briggs & Stratton dealer then it will be a good filter.
If it was bought from a random on line source then who knows.
We have mower shops for people who want genuine quality parts and from memory Briggs actually has an on line retail presence.
Then there are big box stores that you can walk into because they are real. And because they are real and therefore sueable they also sell genuine parts or aftermarket parts of the same or higher standard.
Then there are the phony internet shops.
They may be a division of a real shop or just a computer in some ones garage taking orders & payments off the web then sending picking & delivery orders to a warehouse.
They might be selling genuine quality parts or OEM pars that failed Briggs QC and were rejected as being sub standard or fake parts who knows.
They are there because people are lazy , greedy , stupid or selfish or any combination of thereof.

Briggs change their part numbers more often that I change my underwear and it is not uncommon to fins the number on a part inside a package to be different to the number on the outside.
Or for that matter to order a part and have a totally different part number delivered for the part that has superceeded the part you ordered.

As previously mentions Briggs basically have 2 size filters and the filters come in 2 capacitiies that are correct for about 99% of their engines.
Confusion comes in with Vanguard engines that were originally designed & made in Japan so they have different part numbers to standard Briggs oil filters.

So 42932 / 492056 / 492932 / 492932S / 492932B / 4154 / 5094 / 5094H / 5094K / 842291 are all exactly the same oil filter, commonly called Briggs Short 27 microns , 7-9 psi pressure relief valve & anti drain back valve
The same filter also has Toro part number, A Cub Cadet part number , A John Deer part number , a Craftsman part number and probably a mile more.
If the filter was fitted to an engine with the mower makers brand name on the engine, generally the filter got a different part number , some times a different paint colour and that is part of the code specifications.
It is also identical to a Tecumseh oil filter and a Generac oil filter
The exact same filter, painted yellow but with more filter paper in it is 696854 / 695396 called "Extended Life"

These came out about the same time as Kohler started to fit yellow "high capacity" filters to their engines.

Then 300314 / 499532 / 70185 / 820314 are also exactly the same filter, commonly called "Briggs Long " these are 25 micron with a 9-12 psi pressure relief valve & anti drain back valve
Same filter but with more paper stuffed in & painted yellow is 692513

Vanguard "Full Perssure Lubrication" and the Cyclonic Commercial Briggs take
4153 / 491056 / 491056S again all exactly the same filter , 27 microns with 8-11 PSI bypass valve & anti drain back valve.

If you look across all of these specs you will notice they are all the same.
While some will get anal about the difference between 25 & 27 microns, there really is not any as the micron rating is +/- 10% so 25 is really 22.5 to 27.5

Each and every one of these filters will interchange and work perfectly well although in most cases the two larger filters will not fit in the space for the short filter when the engine is installed.
I am yet to see a filter that has become so full it is on bypass and if changed at Briggs recommended intervals there is no chance the filter would be clogged unless your 4 year old "helped daddy" by pouring a bucket of their best mud down the hole daddy pours his mud.
Briggs also order in all of their filters so they may even use a different number for the same part sourced from a different supplier, which would make good sense from a logistic & QC point of view.

IF I order any of the above in a Trade pack, they will have yet a different part number on the carton ( cause there is 12 in there) and some times on the filter as well.

So if you don't get what I am trying to tell you, there is no need to get an ulcer worrying about the part number if you purchased your filter from a bonna-fide source, you are being obsessive to the nth degree for no real purpose.

If you go to the web site of the filter makers, some of them will list the specifications of their filters and then list the dozen or more different part numbers that a single filter replaces.

Now when you are looking at transmission filters, things are very different but as far as engines are concerned any Briggs / Kohler / Kawasaki filter can be substitued , there is no effective difference apart from the actual size & shape of the outer case. Honda and a lot of the Chinese filters do not interchange as they are metric and if they screw on, will fall off in use.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the filter was bought from an authorised Briggs & Stratton dealer then it will be a good filter.

Go back and read post #15. Then you'll know where this filter was sourced.

Dadillac

Threads
This is what I bought just through Amazon
https://www.outdoorpowerdeals.com/3...lter-pro-series-696854-695396-492932-492932s/

This seller, Outdoor Power Deals, has their own website and sells through Amazon also. Like I stated I am at peace. Briggs website, under part number 696854, shows a picture with part number 695396 on it. These numbers must be interchangeable. If it were not why would Briggs have a misleading picture? I have 100% confidence that I have the correct filter. And that my engine will in fact not be destroyed when I use these filters.

Don

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is what I bought just through Amazon
https://www.outdoorpowerdeals.com/3...lter-pro-series-696854-695396-492932-492932s/

This seller, Outdoor Power Deals, has their own website and sells through Amazon also. Like I stated I am at peace. Briggs website, under part number 696854, shows a picture with part number 695396 on it. These numbers must be interchangeable. If it were not why would Briggs have a misleading picture? I have 100% confidence that I have the correct filter. And that my engine will in fact not be destroyed when I use these filters.

Don

And if you check their web page there is no contact other than by email.
Tried a company check and they do not show up under that name.
No phone number, no street address.
Dogs have face book pages and any person on the planet can open an Amazon account, all you need is a US bank account number and for Ebay, a Paypal account.

So are they a real company or just electrons in cyber space ?
A big flashy web page means nothing whatsoever.
The last salary job I had was running a warehouse.
The excess bays were rented out on a daily basis to non entities who had really flashy web pages but were no more than a computer in some ones garage.
We picked up the containers from the wharfs, unpacked & pallatized the stock.
Occasionally a very old Asian looking woman came & took some photos of individual items.
Other than that their computer sent our computer a picking slip, delivery order & invoice to be included in the package.
The invoices showed photos of a non existent office and interior photos of factories that were lifted from the web.
Down the bottom were a string of brand names, none of which were ever in our warehouse.
Once our live link bank statement showed payment had been transferred from their bank account , the goods were despatched.
The only contact we had for them was a variety of email addresses at their own domain, so they could have all gone to a single computer and 3 mobile phone numbers which always went to voice mail.
I use 16 email addresses so them having over a dozen means nothing.
Over the short time I ran things these sorts of deals were very regular and we got a lot of emails requesting these services , a lot fewer phone calls and perhaps 1 or 2 personal visits a month.

While you are happy with your purchase because it came in a Briggs box with a Briggs number on both the box & filter, that does not prohibit the possibility that the parts you got were counterfit.
I have sold genuine B & S parts that were made in the USA , China , Mexico , The Phillapines , Canada & Brazil, but never from India, so who knows.
The most counterfitted item in the world is bearings and they come with "what name you want " printed on the side or moulded into the rubber seals.
Thus I rely on my wholesale suppliers who are real so can be sued for counterfitting supplying me with genuine products and to date there have not been any counterfit parts problems.
I see a lot of mower parts for sale on the web that are cheaper than the wholesale factory door price direct from the factory that makes them so they either have to be low quality counterfit parts or defective parts originally sold as scrap., then retailed, quite honestly as "OEM part" or "Fits xyz",

Now Outdoor™ Might be real, they might be a retailer of genuine surplus B & S parts bought at less than cost or they might be a counterfit outlet or do both.
All you have to work with is what you read on their web page, can you independently verify that information ?
The fact they use a logo very similar to MTD's Arnold logo again raises suspicions.
The use of a ™ after a very generic type of name is also suspicious but R & S did in fact register the name in 2013 and the first use was noted at 2003, not quite "over 20 years" as stated on their home page.
OTOH if the part works well then you are fine , but if it collapses and promotes excessive wear in your engine which will not become apparent for a few years , will you know ?
And if you do know how to get recommpence ?

OTOH you could have gotten the same price from Jacks Small Engines https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/696854 for the same price and these come from a real shop ( warehouse ) with a real street address and real contact phone numbers.
If you check the link you would also have noted that the part number has been superceeded which would have saved you a long conversation with Briggs customer service and some doubts.
You would have also seen just how many part numbers the same filter has / had and what it is supposed to fit. A bit lower down & you find the Stens after market alternative ( USA Made ).

Last edited:

Dadillac

Threads
So I purchased three filters from Briggs website. They were only about a dollar per filter more. Thought they would be more. They came today and here is what I found out. Although I purchased from Briggs the filters came from a company called Outdoor Power Direct. The boxes from Briggs are marked Made in India just as the other ones are. I opened one box of each and compared the filters. They are both made exactly identical. Obviously I did not cut them open. But visually they are identical. Same filter pleats, same color membrane, same internal structure. Now there is a slight difference on the outer shell. The Briggs filters have a bar code on them that the Amazon ones do not. BUT. But they both have the same part number on the outside. 695396. So all of these filters are authentic Briggs. So now I have 6 years worth of filters. So good to go in that area.

Don