YTH 2448 Husqvarna mower deck with primary and secondary belts

1buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / YTH 2448 Husqvarna mower deck with primary and secondary belts
I broke the primary belt (belt for the engine pulley,idle pulley, right side blade pulley, and a rear idle pulley) on my deck, so I purchased a new 90" belt which is what it calls for but I can't seem to get it to go on, any suggestions would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Too long , too short, too thin , too thick , wrong colour, won't bend, gemlins keep biting my fingers.
Care to explain what the problem is ?
The belt is actually a std B section x 90.375" double kevlar fibre cotton wrapped.
Goes on in an L shape from the engine around the left of both idlers then around the right upper pulley.
The idlers it goes around are the 2" wide ones almost the same diameter.

1buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Too long , too short, too thin , too thick , wrong colour, won't bend, gemlins keep biting my fingers.
Care to explain what the problem is ?
The belt is actually a std B section x 90.375" double kevlar fibre cotton wrapped.
Goes on in an L shape from the engine around the left of both idlers then around the right upper pulley.
The idlers it goes around are the 2" wide ones almost the same diameter.

Yes all that's true, but I can't seem to get the idler pulley that's movable to move far enough to give slack to the belt to get the belt on. The spring on that pulley is very strong tension. Whats the trick to it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some times you can put a long wrench on the nut on the pulley to give you the extra leverage.
If that is not good enough try a ratchet tie down from the tension arm to the front of the mower.
The springs are not all that strong but they are in a place where you really can not get any purchase on them.

Some tie it works better to fit the belt to the deck, sit in front of the machine with your feet against the deck then pull on the belt, you will not hurt the belt they are kevlar & very strong in tension.
Just make sure you do it with leather gloves on to avoid pinching your fingers when you let the belt go over the engine pulley

1buddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Some times you can put a long wrench on the nut on the pulley to give you the extra leverage.
If that is not good enough try a ratchet tie down from the tension arm to the front of the mower.
The springs are not all that strong but they are in a place where you really can not get any purchase on them.

Some tie it works better to fit the belt to the deck, sit in front of the machine with your feet against the deck then pull on the belt, you will not hurt the belt they are kevlar & very strong in tension.
Just make sure you do it with leather gloves on to avoid pinching your fingers when you let the belt go over the engine pulley

Thanks so much bertmobile1, did what you wrote above, put a long pull bar and socket on the pulley and levered the pulley while another set of hands slipped the belt on with no problems. These forums are great.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the update.
Glad to hear it is up & running and all your digits are still on your hands.
Sometime the nut comes loose so you have to put a jamb nut on it and use a long ring on the lower nut.