7266 runs too rich

Fishnuts2

Threads
I have a really nice 7266 from 1977 that runs great except when used on a downhill bank. The motor gets so full of fuel it almost dies. It has a new float and spring assembly in the carb, and the "altitude compensation screw" has no effect on it. If it had a fuel level adjustment, I think that I could solve the problem, but there is no such thing on this plastic carb.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance!

Teds

Threads
Sounds like in the absence other possible issues, the float level may simply be too high.

The plastic-bodied modular carburetors are not particularly well loved. It's easy to find a reed plate and metal carburetor, everything bolts right up the same. Here's how to check and adjust the carburetor you have now:

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcgateway/acrobat/manuals/lball10.pdf

2smoked

Threads
Fish,

I noticed this in Teds attachment if you did not.

Attachments

• 24CC595A-4BE3-476C-AA5C-35DBB6BED052.jpg
    24CC595A-4BE3-476C-AA5C-35DBB6BED052.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 12

Fishnuts2

Threads
Thanks guys.
I had already obtained and studied the manual and do wonder about the recess for the spring. I suppose I will tear it apart and check that the spring is not bound in the bowl.
I had also thought of putting a metal carb and reed plate on it from some older models that I have for parts, but thought it too drastic a measure as I have a lot of confidence in the folks that designed these great mowers. I can't imagine that they didn't run into the same problem while testing them for market.

Last edited:

Teds

Threads
No, flooding isn't inherent to the modular carbs but the older versions seem to improve performance noticeably, I should have been more clear on that. Maybe it's just jet size. They seem to flow better though.

The float needle and seat of course should be replaced as a pair, I'm sure you know that, just incase anybody else out there is wondering. I had a terrible problem with flooding and fouling plugs on a mower sold to me as restored and in good shape. The float was actually installed upside down. Tried everything, they will run poorly even if not actually flooding, with worn crank seals &c. Ended up replacing just about everything on that one, the further I got into it the worse it got.

Fishnuts2

Threads
It is not possible to install this type of float wrong because it is the odd design with the needle cast as part of the float. Good point about the crank seals, especially because of the years on them. I installed new seals last year when I was trying to get it to run. Turned out to be the coil that was bad. Would supply spark, but would not shift the advance when needed.

Anyway, it will indeed run as is now, but I'll tear the carb apart and take a look at the spring in the recesses.
Thanks!