Husvarna YTA22V46 Drive slippage

B

BOOFER7

Hi All

I have a 2 year old Husqvarna YTA22V46 yard tractor. The hydrostatic forward drive is slipping after 2 years of light usage. Not sure whether it's the belt slipping or the hydrostatic trans not doing the job.

Few questions:

Is there a drive belt tension adjustment? (cant find one)

Is there a way to purge/adjust hydrostatic drive?

Are there any Zerk grease fittings on the pulley shafts? cant find any but have a grinding noise that sounds like it needs grease.

I plan on trying belt dressing, but not sure where to go after that. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Put your belt dressing back in the lathe cabinet where it belongs
There are no grease points on the mower apart from the ones shown in your owners manual.

Two sources of a grinding noise outside the box
1) input pulley spinning on the shaft
2) collapsed bearing in one of the idler pulleys.

So drop the deck , remove the battery seal off or drain the fuel tank and stand the mower on its bum so you can inspect all the drive system easily.

Take a few photos for refference cause that model has quite a complicated drive belt routing as shown by this parts breakdown https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/husqvarna/tractors-ride-mowers/yta22v46-96045005300-2015-07/drive

B

BOOFER7

Thanks for the response.

I've taken apart my previous rider before, but this one looks a little intimidating to me looking underneath it when it's on car ramps. I think there's 3 belts in all?

the manual is kind of light on information, it gives a purge procedure it which it tells you to disengage the tranny, step on the brake and hold the forward pedal 5 secs in forward then 5 secs in rev a few times, but every time I do this, as soon as I step on the brake, it trips the tranny back to engage position. might have to try it without the brake.

As for the belt slipping, I cant imagine it needing new belts, this machine has about 10 hours on it. that's why I wanted to try the belt dressing. The slippage started after last fall when I used it to vaccume up an acre of leaves a few times.

One other thing, after it sits for a week, it wont start on its own. It will turn over, tried it with choke full on full off in between, and it wont fire. If I shoot some starting fluid into the air cleaner, it fires up in a second and runs perfectly after that. I can start it and stop it over and over again all weekend with no issue. But wait a week then same thing over again.

Kinda thought when I bought this one that upgrading to a better more expensive model from my last one was a good idea. this one has given me more issues in 2 years than my last one did in 16 years.

thanks for your time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You do not have a Hydro.
You have a variable pitch drive.
The pulleys on the short belt at the back can change their size by moving the top & bottom closer together of further apart.
This is a very old system in a slightly different form,'
The big plastic box has nothing more in side other than a forward / reverse mechanism & a differential.
Go to General Transmissions and look up your box.
They have full repair manuals free on line plus some vice videos showing how they work.

Some of them use a toothed belt so you might have some twigs stuck in the there rubbing on the variator belt.
Get it up in the air on jack stands & have some one run it backwards & forwards.
Look & listen

B

BOOFER7

Thanks Again

What do you think about the starting problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
either the idle circuit in the carb is blocked or the carb solenoid is playing up