Repairs Scratching my head why it won't start!!

Floydy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman leaf blower that only has a few hours work on it but sat unused for about eight years.

On a whim I decided to bring it back to life. Replaced the carburetor, fuel lines, intake gaskets fuel filter and air filter. Cleaned everything meticulously, including the fuel tank but it just won't start and I am out of ideas. (Yes, I did add new 40:1 fuel!).

I have checked that there is a spark, the fuel bulb is full and fuel seems to flowing into the engine (at least to the extent I can check). There is decent compression and the engine pulls freely. The engine is dead as a dodo however, not even a hint of wanting to catch.

What else is there to check?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Craftsman leaf blower that only has a few hours work on it but sat unused for about eight years.

On a whim I decided to bring it back to life. Replaced the carburetor, fuel lines, intake gaskets fuel filter and air filter. Cleaned everything meticulously, including the fuel tank but it just won't start and I am out of ideas. (Yes, I did add new 40:1 fuel!).

I have checked that there is a spark, the fuel bulb is full and fuel seems to flowing into the engine (at least to the extent I can check). There is decent compression and the engine pulls freely. The engine is dead as a dodo however, not even a hint of wanting to catch.

What else is there to check?

Try to start it...then pull the spark plug and see if fuel is getting into the cylinder..by see a wet spark plug.

Russ2251

Threads
If plug is NOT wet, try about a ½ teaspoon of gas directly into cylinder.
No choke.
Attempt to start.

Should fire for a short burst.
If fires off, then ignition is good.
If no fire, ignition is likely faulty.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
how did you verify spark under compression?

try new spark plug is a possibility

you need

air-

good fuel delivered into the cylinder

compression-

spark

eliminate and find...which you have been doing

JerryMc77

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you're still scratching your head try checking the flywheel key---sometimes that can end up being the culprit. I have run into this situation many times only to find that the flywheel key is sheared and the engine is out of timing.

itsgalf

Threads
I'll second that suggestion about the flywheel keyway. Though I don't have a whole lot of experience, if you have seem to have spark, fuel, and compression - the timing of the spark might be off

JerryMc77

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may also consider checking your muffler for carbon build-up or other obstructions .

Last edited: