Cub Cadet keeps dying

baker25

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet zero turn RZT L54 (MODEL NUMBER: 17BRCACA010) that I bought new in May 2015. A few weeks ago I was mowing and it died on me. Could not get it to start. Replaced the fuel filter, and nothing. Cleaned the air filter, and again nothing. I took the fuel system apart and could see that it was getting fuel. I then decided to do a spark test. I pull one plug, and went to start the test, and when I cranked it over, the engine started. Put it all back together and it ran fine the rest of the day. I did notice there seemed to be a very light coat of oil in the air filter housing so I replaced the air filter. Next time I mowed, I was mowing and the engine once again died. After a few times of cranking it, it finally started and I went about my day. I know something is wrong, but I don't know what. I believe it was last year it died while mowing and after leaving it awhile it finally started, but never had any issues till now since then. I've changed the oil regularly, changed the spark plugs, fuel filter now 2 or 3 times and replaced the battery. Any ideas on where to start?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe an interlock/safety switch going bad or getting out of adjustment.

baker25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe an interlock/safety switch going bad or getting out of adjustment.

That is definitely something to consider. What if I added that the last time it died I could smell burnt oil?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is definitely something to consider. What if I added that the last time it died I could smell burnt oil?

I don't think the two are related. Usually, an engine only "dies" once from an oil-related failure and it really is dead. It won't start again until you've fixed the lubrication problem.

Are you sure the smell wasn't burnt wiring?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the blower housing and pull off both kill wires.
Check that the fuel shut off solenoid is working.
Now go mow.
If the problem goes away then you have a problem with the electrical system.
Now put back one of the kill wires and tape the other terminal to prevent accidential grounding.
IF the mower plays up then you have a wiring problem
If it does not play up the diode between the coils is bad.

baker25

Forum Newbie
Threads
remove the blower housing and pull off both kill wires.
Check that the fuel shut off solenoid is working.
Now go mow.
If the problem goes away then you have a problem with the electrical system.
Now put back one of the kill wires and tape the other terminal to prevent accidential grounding.
IF the mower plays up then you have a wiring problem
If it does not play up the diode between the coils is bad.

I don't think it was burnt wiring but it is something to consider. I'm not sure where the fuel shut off solenoid is, nor where the kill wires are. I understand the concept, so I will see what I can find!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel solenoid is the think hanging off the bottom of the carb with some wire hanging off it.
Off = plunger fully out to block off the main jet
On = plunger fully retracted

A bad connection to this device can cause similar shut down problems.

The kill wires are the thin ones hanging off the coils.

Two ways to fix things
1) diagnose the problem slowly & methodically
2) replace parts at random hoping you guess the right one before you spend more on parts than you paid for the mower.