Having issues with a craftsman riding/briggs and stratton

PushrodV8

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Having issues with a craftsman riding/briggs and stratton
Hello!

Long story short, acquaintances neighbor had a nice craftsman rider that just stopped, smoked and wouldn't crank, decided to throw it away. Work acquaintance grabbed it, and now I have it.

It sounded like hydrolock and sure enough fuel had gotten into the combustion chamber.

- I removed the fuel line to carb, drained the fuel from the combustion chamber, and drained the oil.

- Topped off the oil, dried the plug, added fuel back and the beauty cranked almost immediately. Drove around fine. (I had removed the deck prior to this just for more ease of access and to look for anything damaged.

From my reading, I guess the needle where the float valve resides erodes over time and allows fuel to wash into the cylinder, or the solenoid also could be bad.

I come back thirty minutes later(was searching for parts) and fuel had entered the cylinder and the carb was leaking at the gasket.

Instead of rebuilding, I was just going to buy another carb. My engine is model 531877 2371 g5, and this appears to be the newest iteration of my carb, Briggs and Stratton 594601 Carburetor

I was also going to throw a fuel cut off valve in line before the carb.

My main goal of this thread was to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything. I am not to familiar with carburetors and wanted to run my findings by those more proficient before I dropped $100 on a new carb.

Thanks for your time!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should be able to just replace the needle and seat....also make sure that the float is not leaking.

PushrodV8

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah the rebuild kit is like $10 vs $90.

How often do these solenoids fail, could it cause fuel to flood into the cylinder?
I would probably need the complete rebuild kit because its leaking at the gasket.

I am having issues finding what carb kit, I know its a nikki but can't find the number anywhere on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
yeah the rebuild kit is like $10 vs $90.

How often do these solenoids fail, could it cause fuel to flood into the cylinder?
I would probably need the complete rebuild kit because its leaking at the gasket.

I am having issues finding what carb kit, I know its a nikki but can't find the number anywhere on it.

A failed solenoid does not cause the engine to flood.
That crime is exclusive to the float needle.
When a solenoid fails it prevents fuel entering the main jet, but not the carb overflowing through the float bowl breathing passage.

And yes put a tap in there but place it between the fuel tank & the pump so you can change the pump &/or filter easily.

PushrodV8

Forum Newbie
Threads
A failed solenoid does not cause the engine to flood.
That crime is exclusive to the float needle.
When a solenoid fails it prevents fuel entering the main jet, but not the carb overflowing through the float bowl breathing passage.

And yes put a tap in there but place it between the fuel tank & the pump so you can change the pump &/or filter easily.

Awesome, thank you! Yeah I got the rebuild kit that had all the pieces plus a new float. How would the float leak independent of the needle, or is that possible?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Awesome, thank you! Yeah I got the rebuild kit that had all the pieces plus a new float. How would the float leak independent of the needle, or is that possible?

Float leak then fill with fuel so they no longer float.

Threads
You have a 531877 2371 g5 ???? Or a 331877 ???

Yes a kit is well worth the money, but I can't even get a kit at wholesale for 10 bux...... Please stay away from the chinese stuff...

I assume you have the Nikki Carb..........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

PushrodV8

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have a 531877 2371 g5 ???? Or a 331877 ???

Yes a kit is well worth the money, but I can't even get a kit at wholesale for 10 bux...... Please stay away from the chinese stuff...

I assume you have the Nikki Carb..........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

531877 2371 g5

Yeah the kit was on Amazon, I want to get it running successfully, without flooding the combustion chamber once it sits, and do some test mows before I start putting money into it. I have the deck off, I want to put it back on make sure it engages, lowers/raises properly etc.

I ordered all the proper oil, fuel filters, plugs and such, figured I would give the rebuild kit a go.

I was having issues finding the right overhaul kit from nikki as well, the carb does not have a # on it, just NIKKI. The motor number is correct but there isn't much info on it.

Threads
I never heard of the engine number you posted.... If you are buying parts under that number then Amazon or Ebay is going to throw you a bunch of random parts to order............

Even when you type in the right numbers on things you still have to watch what to order.......

What HP is your engine ???????

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could it be Briggs and Stratton 331877-2371-G5