Another one of those...which way do I go? So many options....

whodunit68

Threads
  • / Another one of those...which way do I go? So many options....
So, I live in north central Florida and about 1 year ago purchased my first single family home (I travel extensively for work so have lived in condos/townhomes).
We're on just short of 4 acres and are considering a neighboring lot of 1.8 acres for a total of <6.
I started looking and...holy cripes:
In town...
Ace Hardware
Craftsman (no ZTR that I know of)
Snapper

True Value
Bobcat
Dixie Chopper

Others within ~10 minutes:
Husqvarna
Hustler
Cub Cadet
Grasshopper

~30 mins
Kubota
Exmark
John Deere
Scag
Ferris
BadBoy
Ariens
Gravely
Swisher

I see some others like Big Dog. My buddy just bought an Exmark and he loves it. I visited the dealer and wasn't overwhelmed by the salesperson. I've even called twice in 3 days since to re-visit but no luck. I do not want to go to a big box store (rather support the little guys for service, etc, etc).
I've got mostly flat, sandy terrain with primarily Bahia grass that, in the summer, should realistically be cut every week as it grows FAST. I want to minimize the time spent as mentioned earlier I travel for work. It's got to be somewhat comfortable as the wife claims (though I'll believe it when it starts snowing here in Florida) that she will participate in the mowing.
I'm in the ~$6k range I think for a ZTR. I see options for Diesel, Propane, and gas. Should I care?
I'm thinking a 50-54" or a 60/61/62" will do the job for me (depending on model). I'm pretty sure I'll go lap-bar.

I've done quite a bit of reading/YouTube-ing/searching goodsearch.com. I'm not particularly interested in financing so those offers are great but I probably won't take advantage. Why do I mention that? Well, money always matters. I've seen people recommend brands over another because of promotions (and it's a valid reason when comparing similar models).
I'm not particularly handy so service is important (the reason I care about how far the dealer is).

I see that folks love and hate so many brands. I do see a lot of love for Scag and Exmark. I'm seeing some for Ferris. I've seen some for Hustler recently which caught me off guard (I don't know why it did but it did).
I think I like the idea of a Kawasaki motor (just based on my limited research). I'd be thrilled if it had a turbo and could do wheelies :) ....

So, I won't go so far as to ask you for your inputs on which one I should get (I'm very open to your suggestions) but I will ask...other than the obvious test drive (I honestly haven't seen enough in a 2-5 minute test drive to sway me), how on earth do I choose other than what I've been doing?
I prefer new for the reason mentioned earlier - I likely won't do my own maintenance yet - so, Craigslist is out for now.

Thanks all, appreciate your patience with my explanation and request.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hy there fellow Central Floridian,
Although I DON'T own a "Z" I have had some limited experience around them, you do have a wide selection, and I know what you mean about "travel-time" .. I live in the Ocala National Forest and civilization (so to speak) starts at 30 + mi. away. Most folks I see around here with several acres use a "Z" , I see a lot of Scags & Hustlers with a sprinkling of Ferris & a few Gravely's The bigger Sq. mi. horse farms, of course are using tractors with "Gang-Mowers" There's a ton of J-Deere lovers on the forum, but I personally think that although they're a great machine they are over-engineered, too many bells & whistles which become headaches, I'm sure many other members will chime in, as there are as many opinions as there are members. In the end it's YOUR choice to live with, glad to see money is NOT your main concern, just remember, these machines DO require proper dedicated maintenance to ensure proper operation, and a lonnnng life-span, be sure you get EVERY single Manual & piece of information related to your choice of machine, and DON'T use it as "Butt-Wipe" :laughing: ... IF you do any work on your machine at all, TAKE PICTURES.. Before & After, there are many things NOT covered in the Manuals, although I know J-Deere probably has the best manuals out there and the cost of them $$$$$$$$$$ is well worth it (also adds value if & when you decide to sell the machine) well enough of my $5.00 worth of opinion, hope you find your "Dream-Machine", PATIENCE, and talking to some OWNERS.. of those machines, ( hang around the dealerships and drag them off to the side) may help in your decision making process, in any case Best of Luck, & keep us up-dated. .........Boo

primerbulb120

Threads
With Bahia, you need something that cuts really good, as that is one of the most difficult grasses to cut (tough, stringy.) Scag or Exmark would be the main two contenders in my opinion, with a preference towards Scag.

Regardless of engine brand, most ZTRs can pop wheelies, although it is not recommended by the manufacturer.

I have a Gravely. It's 44 inches wide. I chose it because it's the only mower that size. The cut quality does not impress me. I would have got a Scag if that was an option.

My Craigslist ZTR has never broken down on me in two years of commercial use. Just saying...

dfbroxy

Threads
Here are a few more things you should consider. How much of that property has to be mowed and how hilly is the terrain? The answer to these questions will determine what type and size mower you need unless you want big repair bills in the near future. If you have hills and slopes it will be hard on hydrolic trannies and they will fail if too small. If the mower has a residential deck it wont last with that much sandy mowing. Talk with some of the guys on this site that do comercial mowing about what size to get.