Left side wheel motor hub leaking

Grouse09

Threads
Hi everyone. I have a 2010 723k with 457 hours on it (200 of my own hours). Today, I discovered a mess on the inside of the left tire rim. I took the wheel off and it looks like a leak just inside the brake disc.

Anyone else have this problem? Truly sucks because I have taken very good care of this mower...and now this. Very disheartening.

Grouse09

Threads
After calling my local Grasshopper dealer, some interesting developments...1) The wheel motor assemblies are re-buildable. The dealer sends them out to a local hydraulic shop (with a parts kit) for rebuild.
2) Both wheel motors do not need to be re-built because they are so indiscriminate in failures that the original could last a lot longer.
3) The left side wheel motor assembly is more common to fail because it has more stress on it than the right side.
4) Will report back on the cost.

BWH

Threads
Very interesting post Grouse 09, we all learn from others experiences.

No need to reinvent the wheel when someone has crossed the bridge before.

Be sure to let us know how the rebuild turns out for you.

Thanks!

Grouse09

Threads
Sure will. I called my local dealer and I will be bringing the mower to him on Tuesday. He will have the parts kit on hand by then (had to order the kit). Seems like all is well so far.

Grouse09

Threads
Sorry for the late update! The dealer estimate was 500 bucks and two weeks. They were finished with it in 9 days and it cost 320.00. I was happy with that!

It seems that the wheel motor seal kit is a common fix and they were very familiar with it.

As an added bonus, the owner of the shop and the maintenance tech both commented on my well kept machine and said it was very silid and will last many more years. Felt great!

BWH

Threads
Well you'd rather not spend the $320 but it sure could have been worse. No doubt you were unfortunate to have gotten the one that had a flaw in a seal probably from day one but those happen. I agree with your dealer, the low hours on that machine you should have years and years of life on that machine.

Thanks for sharing!