Mower deck Idler pulley melted

dkaac5

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a 2000 model mtd yard machines lawn tractor. The plastic idler pulley is melted and the bearings are shredded. I see no way of getting the old pulley off...everything is spinning when I try to turn the bolt. Does anyone know of a way to get it off?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending upon which of the 9,854 different MTD mowers you are talking about either the bolt is a coach bolt so you will need to rotate it till the square engages then push down on the head while you turn the nut or slip a thin spannar onto the head.

Second method cut a slot in the end on the bolt with a cut off wheel deep enough the cut the nut in 1/2 and replace both the bolt & the pulley

Or as above but use a Dremmel or similar and hold the bolt with a screwdriver.

Use a nut splitter.

If it is a front engined ride on, pull the battery out, cover the fuel cap or drain the tank to prevent spills, then stand the thing on it's bum so you have clean access to the underside.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of those models with the dual idler pulleys on the transmission drive belt have a nut on top of the main pivot bolt. To access that nut requires removing the pedals on the right side, the seat with the mounting brackets and the nuts under each floor pan so you can remove the fender assembly. On some models you can get a 9/16 wrench under the front of the platform tunnel by reaching under the console at the frame.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Depending upon which of the 9,854 different MTD mowers you are talking about either the bolt is a coach bolt so you will need to rotate it till the square engages then push down on the head while you turn the nut or slip a thin spannar onto the head.

Second method cut a slot in the end on the bolt with a cut off wheel deep enough the cut the nut in 1/2 and replace both the bolt & the pulley

Or as above but use a Dremmel or similar and hold the bolt with a screwdriver.

Use a nut splitter.

If it is a front engined ride on, pull the battery out, cover the fuel cap or drain the tank to prevent spills, then stand the thing on it's bum so you have clean access to the underside.

WOW, MTD (More Tools Desired) makes that many different models, I'm amazed. It's a Carriage Bolt here in the US but it may be a coach bolt in Oz.