Repairs Lawn Boy Gold Series Muffler Plate

Sunstone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have inherited a Lawn Boy Gold Series Model 10545 with a 4.5hp commercial grade engine (1994 by Ser No.). It had struck an object which left a dent in the blade, and the force of it broke the engine mounting/muffler plate. The mower appears to be in very good condition, and I would like to resurrect it. A new plate is quite expensive, and I cannot find an exact used replacement (pn: 92-1054). Do any of you know of another mounting plate that could be substituted? Would appreciate any info on this that any of you may have. I did look in the lists for something on this, but did not find anything. Thanks.

Lawnboy77

Threads
What about just doing an engine swap. You probably can find a good used F series SP for cheap. I think yours has the drive pulley on the crank versus the drive shaft type. The one in the link should work and comes with the muffler plate so really all you would need is to swap over the carb and clean it and install with good gaskets. The sellers states good compression. The main reason I brought this option forward was I don't have a lot of confidence in an engine that has struck a solid object to the extent as yours has. If the muffler plate broke there is a good chance other things got bent, or damaged as well. If this link is not to your liking you should be able to find other options for used engines that might fit your needs and wallet better. Often times I see complete good used engines, fuel tank and all, for 40 bucks or so, plus shipping. It definitely pays to be patient.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lawn-Boy-L...920625?hash=item41e111e531:g:-FQAAOSwC~1a6cNI

Sunstone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply, LawnBoy77. It is just what you mentioned - the risk of other damage having occurred - that makes me reluctant to gamble the cost of a new plate. I see lots of other used plates at very reasonable cost; but not for this one. I just hate to discard the motor without finding out if it is OK (incurable desire to KNOW!). But your suggestion is a good one. I will look at the one at the link you included. Thanks again for your response.

dfbroxy

Threads
Have you considered pulling the engine off, removeing the sump to check for damage. What have you got to loose except your curiosity?

Phototone

Threads
Your best bet is to get a few junker mowers. There were 2 muffler plates (in general) for a given 2-stroke engine, one for the steel deck mowers and one for the aluminum deck mowers. So happy looking. Muffler plates are not generally bad. Most derelict mowers I buy are bad because they stopped running, the owner decided too expensive to repair, generally carb or ignition problems, not broken muffler plates.

Sunstone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your best bet is to get a few junker mowers. There were 2 muffler plates (in general) for a given 2-stroke engine, one for the steel deck mowers and one for the aluminum deck mowers. So happy looking. Muffler plates are not generally bad. Most derelict mowers I buy are bad because they stopped running, the owner decided too expensive to repair, generally carb or ignition problems, not broken muffler plates.

Years ago, we had a local dump here, and there were mounds of bicycles, appliances, and yes - lawn mowers! You could go and comb through the piles and take what you wanted for a pittance. Those (better) days are long gone. But you may well be right... Best bet may be to find a used unit with the plate/motor I need. So will put the word out and look around. It's a small town, but you never know what might turn up. Thanks for the suggestion.