Brake Rotor Removal - LTX1000 Lwntractor

Hydestone

Threads
I bought a used Craftsman LTX1000 tractor and the brakes barely work, so I going to replace them. The rear tire is stuck on the shaft, so I am replacing the brakes with the tire in place.

I got the bolts out and removed the caliper. How do I get the rotor off, so that i can remove the inner pads and replace them?

Thanks

Hydestone

Threads
Also, where would you recommend I buy replacement pads? Any other option than Sears? They won't be available for 2+ weeks.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pads are made by the tranny makers , not the mower makers, they are a tranny part and there are no alternative parts available.

Next get that wheel off.
Put some scissor jacks between it and the frame to load up the axel then attack the end of the axel with an air chisel with a rounded point .
Pot a lot of weight behind behind the chisel.
When the wheel moves enough to allow a jack to drop, thighten them up a bit more . Repeat till the wheel is fully off.
Then clean the rust off, coat the axel with wheel grease or never seize , fix the brake then replace the wheel & do the other side.
Depending upon where you are & how you store the mower the rears need to come off every 3 to 5 years for greasing.

Hydestone

Threads
That’s great, thanks Bert.

Quick question, are you suggesting removing the second wheel, so that I can grease it? Basically, proper maintenance?

There is only brake on the passenger side on my mower.

What are your thoughts on using some sort of puller?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the brake is only on one side of the mower.

And no pullers will not work .
Once the wheel is rusted on solid all a puller will do is bend the wheel
Pulling on the wheel & axel will rip the axel right out & destroy the case, it is only held in by a wire clip or E clip.

The last time I did a tyre on the mower cause the owner could not get the wheel off I charged them $ 200 ( AUS ) for the labour.
Owner claimed that they did all their own maintenance cause dealers were a rip off and did not service them properly.

I am the only service man in a 15 mile radius that will take on a flat tyre on a stuck on wheel.
So yes it is routine maintenance that no owners ever do, like oiling all the contact points shown in the owners manual.

My nasty side takes great delight in replacing a fan gear , steering gear & bush at great expense on relatively new mowers cause the owners have never oiled the lower steering bush ( I use Lithium spray grease ).
Same thing goes for spindle pulleys.

On domestics they have no boss, just a hole so generally they strip out the splines when owners fail to check them regularly.
On commercials the pulley has a boss and if they dont come off with a few light taps then it is 1 hour per spindle