Toro engine valve gaps

TimecutterTrauma

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2015 SW Timecutter 5050. My model has the somewhat rare Toro 24.5 engine, in 2015 they used both the Kolher and the Toro engine but my model number definitely returns the Toro. It has developed starter issues and since a new starter is close to $200 I thought I would adjust the valves as V-Twin engine valve adjustment can cause the compression release to hang. I can't seem to find the proper gaps for the Toro engine, or for that matter any site that even eludes to the existence of the engine. Does anyone know the proper valve gap for the Toro 24.5?

Thanks in advance!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your owners manual should state the valve lash specs. You could also call a Dealer & talk to their Service Dept & ask.

I don't know anything about those "toro" branded engines, other than they are imported, & sorry, they are not rare.

Last edited:
Threads
Do you have the Kohler engine on yours ????

I have never heard of a Toro made engine...... Just like Toro and other models such as Troy Bilt have Briggs engines, but they have the labeling stickers showing the Toro brand and then they show in smaller print Briggs or Kohler ............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro has engines being made in China, that are labeled Toro. They are 708 cc engines, & Toro has been using then since at least 2014, maybe earlier.

I like my Kawasaki tho.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro has struck up a deal with Loncin to provide them with engines.
Toro have also put the service manual for the Toro branded Loncin engines on their web site
So go to Toro.com and look up the manuals for your engine.
Owners, parts & service are all up there for free.

TimecutterTrauma

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for replies. I must admit at first I was a little embarrassed. Manual? Never thought of it. The only new mower I have purchased in my life was in 1973 and the manual was very generic so I didn't have any idea they contained that detail of information. I have downloaded at service manual (only covers the hydro-static drive), the operators manual (very generic) and the interactive manual (same thing only online), and a beautiful residential service manual the includes the torque setting for every bolt on the mower but I still haven't seen the valve settings. I haven't read every page but I did read the engine maintenance sections, the specifications sections and the troubleshooting sections.

Toro's site and manuals insist they make the engine but I believe the "imported" and "other manufacturers statements" on here probably are correct but there isn't an identifying sub label, stamp or anything. It is the engine nobody but Toro wants to claim. I do wish I had 7394's Kawasaki engine as well.

This mower was purchased at Home Depot as a warranty repair almost 2 years ago. Thought it was a great deal and my wife just loves it and loves mowing the yard with it. As much as I hate to discourage that feature the mower has been down more than it has been working. Shame on me for buying an "as is" mower yet paying a $1000 for it. Since all of the repair issues so far have been engine related maybe a new engine with a warranty would be a good investment. The first repair was when the fan came loose, completely destroyed by the time my wife noticed and a bolt got down in the alternator under the flywheel. It still has a broken magnet but has been charging fine. The engine overheated during this break as well. A new fan and the mower mowed the 4 acres 4 times last fall and twice this spring. Battery is good and fully charged, solenoid tests fine and the starter bench tests without issue. Motor turns by hand but has compression. I don't think the compression release is functioning.

Any thoughts? BTW it is a SW5000. Not sure why I put the extra 5 got in the model number.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Loncin make very good engines.
They are made under contract to Toro, just the same as the old Briggs or Kohlers were made to order for Toro.
The only problem is parts can only be bought through the Toro dealer network so are a touch on the expensive side.
And yes a warranty repair mower from a retail shop would always be a lottery.

In 10 years time you will not see a Briggs , Kohler or Kawasaki on any residential mower because the Chinese engined mowers will all be $ 500 cheaper

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you tried calling a Toro Dealer & ask for service dept, (ask very nicely) & 'maybe' they can give you valve lash specs.

A friend has a Loncin engine in his Z, & it seems to be doing well for him. So don't get bummed out.

Bert- I hope your prediction is wrong.

Threads
Ok I did a lil research on your mower and most of the Toro products in your series LOOK like a KAWI....... I am not sure though...

I would go 5 and 7 thou on the valve lash............ That would be a good generic all around setting......

Try that and let us know Mon Ami ...........

Threads
Have you tried calling a Toro Dealer & ask for service dept, (ask very nicely) & 'maybe' they can give you valve lash specs.

A friend has a Loncin engine in his Z, & it seems to be doing well for him. So don't get bummed out.

Bert- I hope your prediction is wrong.

I hope Bert's predictions are wrong too........