Z225A not starting

MrDuffy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello: I was recently given an older John Deere Z225A zero turn mower. It was running great. I put a new battery in it as the previous owner said it wouldn't start it. Now when I went to start it, the starter would spin when the key is turned, but will not engage the flywheel. I did just replaced the starter and the solinoid with brand new ones. Same problem. I don't have a service manual or schematic on the wiring. Cant see spending a $100 on a manual. Can anyone offer some insight

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So you got a $ 5000 mower for nothing but won't stump up for the best repair manual ever written for a mower yet expect other to help you for free ?
Can you turn the engine over by hand ?

MrDuffy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the engine can be turned by hand. Going back to working on older cars, I jumped across the solenoid putting 12 volts to the starter, and same symptom. I don’t know if any safety switch would cause this.

I have a regular John Deere with the safety’s, and nothing will turn on if your not in the seat or mower is engaged. So I’m at a loss. Almost points right back to a bad new starter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
YEp if the starter spins and does not engae with the flywheel then most likely either the starter is bad or wrong for the engine.