DIXIE CHOPPER RELAY UNDER SEAT--- WHAT DOES IT DO?

sprystang

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / DIXIE CHOPPER RELAY UNDER SEAT--- WHAT DOES IT DO?
HELLO, GOT A 60" DIXIE CHOPPER 27 HP GENERAC 2008 MODEL. THERE IS A RELAY UNDER THE SEAT THAT HAS 5 WIRES IN IT. WHAT EXACTLY DOES IT DO? IT IS HELD ON BY A SHEETMETAL SCREW WHICH ALSO GROUNDS ABOUT 5 YELLOW WIRES. MY MOWER WOULDNT RUN, HAD VERY VERY WEAK SPARK, THEN AFTER TAKING IT ALL APART, WE FINALLY JUST UNPLUGGED THIS RELAY, AND IT RUNS FINE. STARTS FINE, RUNS PERFECT, EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE NORMAL, JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF I NEED THIS RELAY OR NOT. MOWER WORKS FINE WITHOUT IT, SOO.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / DIXIE CHOPPER RELAY UNDER SEAT--- WHAT DOES IT DO?
Lift your bum off the seat.
If the mower does ot stop then it is the safety switch relay.
Double check by trying to drive the mower while the parking brake is on.
If you can do it then that confirms it is the safety switch relay.
It is your mower so I can not force you to replace the relay other than to say it is a danger to you, your family and all bystanders to be running without a functioning safety system.

RCountry2

Threads
Lift your bum off the seat.
If the mower does ot stop then it is the safety switch relay.
Double check by trying to drive the mower while the parking brake is on.
If you can do it then that confirms it is the safety switch relay.
It is your mower so I can not force you to replace the relay other than to say it is a danger to you, your family and all bystanders to be running without a functioning safety system.

I agree with you but strange thing is he said he unplugged it and it started working, not that it got jumped,rigged so that its always made...if its just unplugged it should not run, correct?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with you but strange thing is he said he unplugged it and it started working, not that it got jumped,rigged so that its always made...if its just unplugged it should not run, correct?

I would have to check the wiring diagram.
Some are N/O and others are N/C
Thus some need to be jumped wile others can just be disconnected.
Toro for instance wire some so that the engine will no crank if the switch is jumped and will not run if the switch is unpluged.
Some Huskys do a similar trick to prevent idiots striking a blow for FREEDOM by disabling the only safety switch that actually is needed.

Hugeroost

Threads
HELLO, GOT A 60" DIXIE CHOPPER 27 HP GENERAC 2008 MODEL. THERE IS A RELAY UNDER THE SEAT THAT HAS 5 WIRES IN IT. WHAT EXACTLY DOES IT DO? IT IS HELD ON BY A SHEETMETAL SCREW WHICH ALSO GROUNDS ABOUT 5 YELLOW WIRES. MY MOWER WOULDNT RUN, HAD VERY VERY WEAK SPARK, THEN AFTER TAKING IT ALL APART, WE FINALLY JUST UNPLUGGED THIS RELAY, AND IT RUNS FINE. STARTS FINE, RUNS PERFECT, EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE NORMAL, JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF I NEED THIS RELAY OR NOT. MOWER WORKS FINE WITHOUT IT, SOO.....

bro its nothing but a safety switch that should be unplugged and never plugged back in, it will be fine like that