Low cut height options?

kredmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello - first post here, try to keep it brief. I have a 10 year old HRR216K5VKA that has been good to me and still going strong of course.

However, the max cut height of 3.25" is too low for my lawn, probably closer to 3" with original worn wheels at this point. I want to be at 3.75" - 4" during summer months.

I see the newer HRR216 go to 4", but older ones are 3.25". Short of getting a new mower, do I have options?

Through my research, I have seen:

1) Trying to put on 9" HRX wheels - this will add .5" + original 3.25" = 3.75", but doesn't look like the rear wheel gearing will match. Maybe someone here knows more.
2) Adding new tires with more depth to original wheels, but not much concise info out there to ensure it goes smoothly. Maybe someone here has more info.
3) Tape on new threads - saw this on a post, but skeptical if this really works.
4) Are there aftermarket upgrade type wheels? I haven't found anything on the web.

Thanks, Keith

kredmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
And #5) Use parts from newer models to increase height adjustment to 4", such as described in this post (can't add URL yet as new member). You can see by comparing current parts to new parts how it allows for more height adjusting. Most promising option, just cost and effort involved, plus probably new wheels.

Text from the post:
Yes you can raise the mowing height for this mower to 4". You need to buy 4 parts at a cost of around $40. For the front wheels you replace the adjuster arms.
HON 42911-VL0-900 ARM R. FR. ADJUSTER
HON 42921-VL0-900 ARM L. FR. ADJUSTER
These are easy to replace.
For the rear wheels you replace the adjuster plates
HON 42990-VL0-900 PANEL R. RR.
HON 42995-VL0-900 PANEL L. RR.

kredmore

Forum Newbie
Threads
And #5) Use parts from newer models to increase height adjustment to 4", such as described in this post (can't add URL yet as new member). You can see by comparing current parts to new parts how it allows for more height adjusting. Most promising option, just cost and effort involved, plus probably new wheels.

Text from the post:
Yes you can raise the mowing height for this mower to 4". You need to buy 4 parts at a cost of around $40. For the front wheels you replace the adjuster arms.
HON 42911-VL0-900 ARM R. FR. ADJUSTER
HON 42921-VL0-900 ARM L. FR. ADJUSTER
These are easy to replace.
For the rear wheels you replace the adjuster plates
HON 42990-VL0-900 PANEL R. RR.
HON 42995-VL0-900 PANEL L. RR.

I completed this change, and it's pretty straight forward. All is working well. The one item I would suggest in addition, is getting the flat head bolts for the front wheels to avoid rubbing on the inner wheel plastic. Part #90103-VL0-900.

Band-aid Kid

Threads
Thank you for coming back here and letting us know how it turned out. I'm sure others will find this information (ah what's the word) informative.

Again, Thank You. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: