What mower fits my needs?

tkruger

Threads
I have a 1979 Simplicity 5116 16 hp, 42 inch cut. The motor has multiple signs it is not doing well. Burning oil, oil in gas, seeping oil. It has been taken care of but I think age may be getting to it.

Looking to know what is the best replacement tractor for my purpose. On a budget but I understand the get what you pay for. My budget is based on lowest cost to get longest life per dollar.

Just over an acre to mow. Ground is fairly smooth. I am a larger guy. Need to mow through the ditch and there are hills on the property. Cannot be wider than 56 inches to fit in shed (60 inch door), prefer 42 - 50 due to spacing of items in the yard. Only thing it pulls is a grass sweeper (used for leaves too). Also want an easily removable deck and prefer simple to work on if it breaks.

More than anything right now I plan to run the one I have till it is dead but I want to have cash on hand for a replacement when the time comes.

mhavanti

Threads
Hustler Raptor SD 54". I'll put a link below for dimensions of the 48" and 54".

The 54" will fit thru your door with the chute cover up. All you'll need to add is a set of flex forks and you might get your dealer to throw in a set installed. Also, a seat suspension kit and you'll fall in love with this rascal.

https://www.hustlerturf.com/products/raptor-sd

Max

deminin

Threads
I have a 1979 Simplicity 5116 16 hp, 42 inch cut. The motor has multiple signs it is not doing well. Burning oil, oil in gas, seeping oil. It has been taken care of but I think age may be getting to it.Looking to know what is the best replacement tractor for my purpose. On a budget but I understand the get what you pay for. My budget is based on lowest cost to get longest life per dollar. Just over an acre to mow. Ground is fairly smooth. I am a larger guy. Need to mow through the ditch and there are hills on the property. Cannot be wider than 56 inches to fit in shed (60 inch door), prefer 42 - 50 due to spacing of items in the yard. Only thing it pulls is a grass sweeper (used for leaves too). Also want an easily removable deck and prefer simple to work on if it breaks. More than anything right now I plan to run the one I have till it is dead but I want to have cash on hand for a replacement when the time comes.

If you want a well built riding mower, at a reasonable cost, visit a Lowe's store, and check out the Husqvarna brand. I have a YTH24V48 that is holding up quite well and doing a good job of mowing about 1.5 acres. Generally, they charge about $1900 for this mower, but I just checked, and they are running a sale for $1700, this week. As the mowing season ends, you might get the same, or even better price later in the year. For a homeowner, who just mowes every week or two, it doesn't make much sense to spend thousands more for a pricey Zero Turn.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Time to do some math.
I have o doubts you remember how much you paid for the Simplicity.
Now the hard bit, try to remember what you were being paid per hour in the year you bought it.
Divide the cost of the simplicity by the hourly pay rate, which is what you really paid for it.
You now have the number of hours the Simplicity cost you, multiply that by what you make per hour now.
The number you come up with is the minimum you would expect to pay for a mower of almost equivalent quality today.

Simplicity went broke because the mowers they made were too good thus cost more than the junk throw away mowers which being the cheapest and shortest life mowers thrived in the financially ignorant domestic consumer market.

A quality mower will have things like bushes on the control shafts & bushes on the deck lift arms.
Those 2 requirements alone will knock out almost everything under $ 4000.

Look at what big box glass fronts sell, then avoid those particular models as well.
In the Lawn tractors we get down here that knocks out everything from the AYP factory ( Husqvarna , McCulloch, Roper, Poulan & most Craftsmans ) & most of the MTD's
SO you are left with Deer ( not the 100 series ) Toro or Kubota ,

General advice is to go for a commercial grade garden tractor and something in the upper price range.

If you want to look at ZTR's then again it is Deer or Toro, the EZ deers look to be particularly good value for money, I have a few commercial customers using them without any major mishaps apart from strengthening the deck lift straps and most of them are pushing 2000 to 3000 hours. I prefer the Deer over the Toro Time Cutters as the electric brake module on the Time Cutters seem vunerable and are very expensive, they seem to start playing up at around 1500 hours on customers who use them commercially.

tkruger

Threads
I am looking more at a tractor as they seem to cost a little less for the same quality. Speed is not an issue for the size yard I have, I actually mow at the end of a day to wind down from all that is going on. All of the plantings were spaced with the thought of a turning radius of the tractor I have so tight turning is not that much of an advantage.

Currently I am preparing to see what is out there and hoping to get my current one to last as long as possible. Basically adding oil all the time and hoping for the best. Also looking used for deals.

mhavanti

Threads
Kruger,

Get into Facebook Marketplace for your area. You will most likely find hundreds of good or decent shape used riders with automatic (hydraulic) rear ends, cast iron front axles, tall rear and front tires and the good steering mechanisms at great prices. Most are there due to upgrading to a zero turn. Lots of them have sat a short time and may need the carb cleaned or need nothing at all.

I see them every day.

Good luck Sir.

Max