Yardman 2000, need help with deck info

Tattmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a Troy bilt yardman 2000. Model 13AQ609G063 42" deck, non electric PTO. First off, let me say this, I have been told all sorts of stuff about this mower by lots of people. One guy told me it had the wrong engine on it, and after checking into it I found out it does have the correct engine. That's beside the point. The mower was given to me, and runs good. However the deck belt pretty much exploded. What size belt do I need? The woman at Troy bilt doesn't know how to use her computer because she said it takes a 66" belt. Way wrong. Every web page on the internet tells me a different size belt. The old one looks like it may have been about 97 or so inches around the outside. That's a best guess. I got a 96" belt and it has too much slack. Now for the fun stuff, the deck pulley brake springs, I need a lot of help here. Either something is missing, or I just don't know. I need to see some photos if possible of where the springs hook up. I am lost here. The double pulley under the mower that the deck belt goes through is all there. But I don't see anything or any way that the deck pulley brakes hook up to anything. I'm about to junk it I'm so frustrated with it. I have downloaded PDF manuals, and parts lists, but neither shows me the details I need. Can someone please help?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you care to go here http://www.partstree.com/parts/troy-bilt/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/13aq609g063-troy-bilt-lawn-tractor-2000/
You will see that there are 2 different deck drive systems.
One uses a single belt
One uses 2 belts
Which one you got ?
You need to quote your serial number so the parts suppliers can work out which set up you have.
Further more the mounting centers on the decks are the same so it is possible to have a a few non standard combinations

So firstly did you buy the mower new ? or are we dealing with a "whatever fits in the space special"

This is particularly the case with the MTD deck mount system on the decks which uses a bolt on mounting plate which can be attached to almost any deck
SO before I could give you any type of advise I would have to see the mower
It could even have been a mower originally fitted with an electric PTO then converted to manual PTO because it needed a new clutch and mower deck clutches are very expensive.

Tattmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for replying, the serial number is 1D110H10208. I did not buy it new, my wife's grandfather did and it was given to us when he passed away. As for the type of deck, it has the 2 spindle pulleys, the pulley brakes, and 1 belt. I can't find any linkage that hooks up to the brakes and can't find any pictures online of how its supposed to look. The belt passes through 2 pulleys that are sprung and mounted up under the mower body, not mounted to the deck. The mower has a lever on the dash that drops the deck and engages the blade. No cable anywhere on the deck for that. I hope this gives a better idea for the deck. I can say this, I can find NO place where a cable would go for the cable to the deck, and the pulleys on the bottom of the mower definitely look original. I don't see any evidence that it was modified to manual pto. Here is a photo of the deck that shows the layout.20180701_200449a.jpg

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This MIGHT be helpful ..... go to this link , enter your model & serial numbers follow directions YOU SHOULD .. come to this page, there you click on the 2nd or 3rd (view manual link) belt diagrams are in the owners guides...

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Public.do

111PAGE.JPG ........ click to enlarge

Tattmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
This MIGHT be helpful ..... go to this link , enter your model & serial numbers follow directions YOU SHOULD .. come to this page, there you click on the 2nd or 3rd (view manual link) belt diagrams are in the owners guides...
Thank you, there is one picture there that got me a little closer and I think I can figure out from there what activates the brakes. now I just need to figure out what belt I need. Like I said, every site I have been on says a different size and the woman at troybilt was way wrong.

I believe I found the belt, original part number 742-0485. I found it crossed to a 954-0485 part number. Thank you guys for the help you gave.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you give her both the model & serial numbers ?
As noted before there are a total of 5 different belts for the 42" deck.
I came up with a std B 97.25.
So the bad news is whileit is a std B section belt, it is a non std size at 97 & 1/4" so you will need to use either a MTD belt $$$$$$$ or an OEM spec Rotary, Oregon or Stens belt which will only be $$$$.

The shorter 66 belt is the deck belt for the Cub decks that use a double pulley so have 2 deck belts and upper & a lower.
When the correct terms are used PTO or Deck there is less confusion because owners see belts on the engine then ask for the "lower belt" spares people assume it is a 2 belt deck & not the latter 1 belt deck.

The part number shown in the parts section of the owners handbooks which you have just downloaded and printed out cause Boo was good enough to direct you to where they can be downloaded list the belt as 754-0485.
All the & series MTD numbers are now 9 so it becomes 954-0485.
The new search engines no longer recognise - or spaces so it becomes 9540485 to most or you will just get an NOF response.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
HERE'S a few places to get a belt, .. the OEM belt @ (repairclinic.com ) is the best to use, but if you're pinchin pennies, the others will also work as well, IF it was the mower DRIVE belt, you should go with an OEM belt, your call good luck & keep us posted !

111 BELT C.JPG..111BELT A.JPG..111BELT B.JPG

click to enlarge, clik again to enlarge more......

Tattmann

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you give her both the model & serial numbers ?
As noted before there are a total of 5 different belts for the 42" deck.
I came up with a std B 97.25.
So the bad news is whileit is a std B section belt, it is a non std size at 97 & 1/4" so you will need to use either a MTD belt $$$$$$$ or an OEM spec Rotary, Oregon or Stens belt which will only be $$$$.

The shorter 66 belt is the deck belt for the Cub decks that use a double pulley so have 2 deck belts and upper & a lower.
When the correct terms are used PTO or Deck there is less confusion because owners see belts on the engine then ask for the "lower belt" spares people assume it is a 2 belt deck & not the latter 1 belt deck.

The part number shown in the parts section of the owners handbooks which you have just downloaded and printed out cause Boo was good enough to direct you to where they can be downloaded list the belt as 754-0485.
All the & series MTD numbers are now 9 so it becomes 954-0485.
The new search engines no longer recognise - or spaces so it becomes 9540485 to most or you will just get an NOF response.

Thanks for the reply. Actually yes, I gave her all numbers from model and serial. I tried to tell her there were different engines and decks but she cut me off saying that didn't matter and her computer would tell her the exact belt needed. I had a really bad feeling about that call lol.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Actually yes, I gave her all numbers from model and serial. I tried to tell her there were different engines and decks but she cut me off saying that didn't matter and her computer would tell her the exact belt needed. I had a really bad feeling about that call lol.

Ah yes, a youngen, so if the computer says so it must be right.
We are currently trying to get "smart phones" banned from schools for this exact reason.
If kids want to "know" something they search facebook for the "truth" because what the teachers tell them is a lie