Turf Tiger blowing 20a fuse

RonFrost

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 35hp Vangaurd on my Turf Tiger and it recently began consistently blowing the 20a fuse. The fuse holder is good and the PTO switch tests good. When the PTO switch is engaged, the TT might run for 60 seconds or 60 minutes or 3 hours prior to blowing the fuse - no consistency. When I by pass the PTO switch and directly wire the PTO clutch to the battery with a 20a fused power cable, the PTO will run until I disconnect it from the battery. No noticeable wires being grounded. I'm out of ideas and open to suggestions.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 35hp Vangaurd on my Turf Tiger and it recently began consistently blowing the 20a fuse. The fuse holder is good and the PTO switch tests good. When the PTO switch is engaged, the TT might run for 60 seconds or 60 minutes or 3 hours prior to blowing the fuse - no consistency. When I by pass the PTO switch and directly wire the PTO clutch to the battery with a 20a fused power cable, the PTO will run until I disconnect it from the battery. No noticeable wires being grounded. I'm out of ideas and open to suggestions.

I had this problem on a Tiger Cat. We replaced the charging parts more than once because that appeared to be the problem. It always went back to them. Finally I replaced both fuse holders with new ones and although the old ones looked good apparently they weren't I have not blown a fuse since.

Luffydog

Threads
Check the charging first if good do a ohms test on the clutch which if it is charging more than likely your issues pulling to much for the charging to handle and it goes to the weakest point the pto switch as you have noticed. So check to see if charging next is the ohms test it will be different cold and after use. Already have to replace the switch. I would say if not charging regulator check. Then check the stator and clutch make sure the fuses are good before the test. If for some reason it's the clutch the vanguard take a special clutch and if the wrong one is installed it will smoke the new clutch and possibly other things as well so make sure you take your numbers in scag and engine to make sure of correct replacement of the clutch.

RonFrost

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stator and voltage regulator both tested good, Ogura clutch seems to be within specified resistance and works well when directly wired to battery, so I believe the major components are "OK." I just put a new fuse holder in to eliminate that question since so many other threads point to the fuse holder as being suspect. Since installing the new fuse holder, I have been able to mow for 30 minutes without blowing a fuse. If I can get another few hours of mowing in without the fuse blowing, I'll join a bunch of others who thought their fuse holder was good when it wasn't.

RonFrost

Forum Newbie
Threads
Since changing the fuse holder yesterday I have been able to successfully mow a couple of acres WITHOUT blowing the fuse; it seems as if the fuse holder was the culprit. Thanks jekjr for your suggestion.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Since changing the fuse holder yesterday I have been able to successfully mow a couple of acres WITHOUT blowing the fuse; it seems as if the fuse holder was the culprit. Thanks jekjr for your suggestion.

Good deal I hope that was indeed the problem.