Recycling and innovation

woolyhead

Threads
I once bought a 14 inch Webb battery mower that used a car battery. But the battery only ran for about 5 minutes because it was too old for the job. The reel of rotary blades could not be brought closer to the fixed blade because the adjuster was at the end of its adjustment slot. Why did I buy such rubbish? Simple answer is that I had no money for anything better but I'm and engineer and I knew how to extend the mower's life. Here's what I did. I elongated the adjustment slot which was in cast iron, using a small diameter grindstone. I then replaced the car battery by a mains transformer with a full wave rectifier and a digital voltage controller. I used the battery box as a heatsink for the electronics. After sharpening and adjusting the blades the mower cut perfectly. It lasted about three years with grass trimming twice a week.

PStechPaul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Car batteries are designed for starting, and not for long term deep cycle use. You can get a 100 A-h deep cycle battery for about $100. SLA batteries as used in wheelchairs and scooters are also good, but more expensive, 12 A-h SLAs are about $25 each on eBay.

I have a 36 V battery powered mower, and haven't used it much. I also have a corded electric mower, which is apparently what you wound up with, although I imagine the power supply is rather heavy (although maybe not as heavy as the battery).

Most cordless tools now use lithium, which is far superior, but another large increase in cost. Lead batteries are OK for mowers and even better for tractors, where weight is an asset.