FB460v on 48" belt drive Scag walk behind cuts out when warm

tpsuffield

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / FB460v on 48" belt drive Scag walk behind cuts out when warm
I have a 29 year old FB460v that cuts out, intermittently, when warm. It often happens on right turns and on the straightaway shortly thereafter, but sometimes it's only on straightaways. Sometimes it almost dies, but then recovers.

I've taken meticulous care of the machine over the years.

Because of this problem, I've changed the gas filter. I've leaned the carb with Seafoam at least 4 times, as Seafoam recommends (engine running - Seafoam in carb three or four times, let it bog and recover. Then once where it stalls. Let it sit for 10 minutes and restart). Changed spark plug. Checked magneto gap. Shaken and twisted safety switch and ignition wires while mower running. Can't reproduce the cut off.

Luffydog

Threads
Check the fuel tank fuel lines make sure you have very good flow of fuel might have to blow air back from line into the tank with cap off to free up anything in the tank

tpsuffield

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate it and will try it.

1RB2534

Threads
It could be several things but once a few yrs back my Kawa walk behind had the same issue until I traced all the wires and finally found a partial tear along the handle. I guess it got torn on some overgrowth coming thru neighbor's fence. Anyhow it would just move a little on turns or more overgrowth etc and loose continuity enough to make my engine miss. It was one of the wires that affect the shutoff switches. After I soldered it up and tapped it, the problem went away.

Luffydog

Threads
Make sure ground wire and motor is tight

tdipaul

Threads

OP:

What was it?