YT 3000 is smoking

Nov

Forum Newbie
Threads
My yt 3000 has white smoke with some dark but mostly white.
It runs and sounds good except for a bit of sputtering. Oil was blowing out of the oil drain tube, but i stopped that with a gasket under lid, not sure if it's supposed to have one. It smokes mostly under load with blades engaged.
Is there anything besides worn rings that can cause this?

Boit4852

Threads
My yt 3000 has white smoke with some dark but mostly white.
It runs and sounds good except for a bit of sputtering. Oil was blowing out of the oil drain tube, but i stopped that with a gasket under lid, not sure if it's supposed to have one. It smokes mostly under load with blades engaged.
Is there anything besides worn rings that can cause this?

Your description is confusing. "Oil was blowing out of the oil drain tube....". Are you saying here the oil was leaking past the threaded plug? I assume "lid" is a typo that should be "it". Going further, white smoke from the exhaust usually indicates a lean burn since this is an air cooled engine. Oil burning will be blue and a rich condition will be black(dark). If it was me, I'd remove the spark plugs and check their condition and color. If those have been in there for some time, they will reveal a lot of info. To do an accurate plug reading, warm the engine thoroughly and then while running it at full throttle under a decent load, turn the ignition off while leaving the throttle wide open. The load on the engine will slow and stop the engine quickly. Let it cool off and then remove the plugs. The electrodes should be a medium to dark tan color. If you see shiny metal particles, it's overheating and metal is disintegrating in the combustion chamber from either the piston crown, cylinder head, and/or valves and seats. It's important that when doing this plug check to get the engine stopped as quickly as possible after turning the ignition off with the throttle wide open. You can either mow in heavy grass or use your movement pedal on a slight upward incline. I think NGK has a chart that will tell you what the plugs reveal. Good luck.