Honda F500 troubles

cmtul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

I have an older Honda F500 Tiller I've run into a brick wall on. The carb was pulled apart and cleaned. The spark plug was replaced, and shows spark. Tested it using the spark plug against metal, and again using a tester. It has compression. It was checked using a compression tester gauge. It also has fuel. Even replaced the old fuel with new fuel after cleaning the carb. The bugger still won't start. I tried putting a teaspoon or two of fuel directly into the cylinder, and had no luck. Any thoughts and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Chris

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Abrupt stops can shear the timing key inside the flywheel.

cmtul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ouch... Once the service manual shows up crack her open and check that out. It should be here around the 7th.

cmtul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Scratch that last reply. I had the flywheel off 30 minutes ago. The woodruff key was solid and undamaged. Unless it's a different item you're talking about.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Scratch that last reply. I had the flywheel off 30 minutes ago. The woodruff key was solid and undamaged. Unless it's a different item you're talking about.

Nope that is it.

If that is an OHV engine check that the pushrods are still in place.
That is the other common thing that happens with a crash stop.
After that it gets expensive ( cams etc )

cmtul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cylinder head and cylinder.gif

Here's a diagram I managed to find online. From the looks of it I'd have to go through the crankcase cover to check on the internals. That and unless I'm misunderstanding this design there doesn't seem to be any push rods.

Best regards,
Chris

Threads
Cmtul Putting gas in there doesn't always work......... That is fluid and not a vapor... It would take quite a few pulls to make it POP......

When you cleaned the carb, did you take the jet AND the fuel nozzle out of the carb ????? The jet has a small hole in it and the fuel nozzle has a few tiny holes in it that needs to be cleaned well......

I work on Honda carbs often and once the carb is off it takes me about 20 to 30 minutes to do it...... I know the process to clean a carb well though.... Also there are other things on a Honda carb to clean and deal with, such as the idle jet circuit.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

cmtul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Boudreaux,

Un frère de louisiane .. heureux de vous rencontrer... Born and raised in Louisiana. When I cleaned the carb all components were removed, the float with needle, the jet with main nozzle. All adjusting screws (three total). Choke door, and the throttle door. Soaked everything for a day in carb cleaner. Used a nylon brush to clean it. Tough spots I used a brass brush. When done compressed air was pushed through it before reassembly. I would not be opposed to buying a new carb to rule it out completely. Who knows maybe this one just gave up the ghost. I have really fine broaches for watchmaking that fits the tiny holes. It allowed me the chance to ensure they were open.

Best regards,
Chris

Threads
Bien Bon Mon Frere' Where you from Mon Ami ............

I am only gonna be on here,,,,, In la mantin et la apres midi pour a peu while ..........

Ok I will say we should speak in english so others don't think other things LOL .......

cmtul

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lol yeah it's probably best since I haven't really spoken it since I left home 20+ years ago. I was born and spent most of my childhood in Bogalusa. When I wasn't there I was in Metairie, Destrahan, Laplace, West Lake, Lake Charles, and even spent a few years in Morgan City. Used to do a few runs to Grand Isle every once in awhile when I was living in Morgan City.