247.370370 190cc Platinum Series Push Mower Will Not Start

Threads
  • / 247.370370 190cc Platinum Series Push Mower Will Not Start
Hello, thanks for any advice.

What is going on with my craftsman mower?

Clean Gas.
New Fuel Line.
New Plug (RJ19LM) could not source the RJ2YXLE that originally came in the mower, but I am getting a nice spark with screw driver test and a nice pop off the new plug...so spark is good.
The old carb looked great inside, but after cleaning I still couldn't get it to run so I replaced the carb.
I pulled the kill wire to inspect for any wore spots...all good. I cleaned the contact on the kill swith too.
The air cleaner is good enough for now.

I am about to pull the flywheel to look for a sheared keyway. I cannot image the governor arm has slipped...what am I missing?

Any ideas?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
On briggs you don't have to pull the flywheel to check the key. Just remove the starter cup or what ever is above the flywheel, and you should be able to see if the key is square or has been offset or actually sheared. If sheared then you can pull the flywheel, and make sure to retorque to correct amount to prevent from possibly shearing the new key.

Threads
On briggs you don't have to pull the flywheel to check the key. Just remove the starter cup or what ever is above the flywheel, and you should be able to see if the key is square or has been offset or actually sheared. If sheared then you can pull the flywheel, and make sure to retorque to correct amount to prevent from possibly shearing the new key.

Thanks ILENGINE. I removed the starter cup and I was happy when I found the sheared key. Not so happy after I realized It was sheared badly and it put a pretty big burr on the tapered seat. I polished it out as best I dared and I had some replacement aluminum keyways from a couple of years ago when working on my lawn vac, but after replacing the keyway it still will not start?

Gap on the coil is approximately .008 to .009 my feeler gauge doesn't want to slip under very easy even at .008.

Do you know what the gap is on this motor I was guessing matchbook cover at about .012. If I'm remembering correctly it should be around .010 to .015 or so??? Why would the gap have shrunk?

A couple of pulls did act as though it was firing. In this humidity I'm running out of umphhh.

Threads
A business card will fit the bill.... I use my cards for the bigger Briggs like you got and my service tags for the smaller 3 HP engines..... My service tags are thinner 10 thousands and my cards are 13.........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
BTW take coil off and then take a bastard file and lightly clean the mounting posts and then sand the mating surface on the coil......... You'll be glad you did...........

Threads
Thanks. I will try that...tomorrow. When I put the flywheel back on and tapped the keyway back in I was able to rotate the flywheel back and fourth a degree or two. I basically split the difference and called it good. I'm hoping I don't need a new flywheel. I will do what you mentioned to the coil posts and post the results.

I guess I shouldn't complain about humidity seeing where you are from.

It sure was miserable here today!

Threads
Well, I thank you for the advice, but it still will not start.

You know when a flywheel shears the key and the flywheel spins about 180 degrees out, where the carb blows and the exhaust sucks...it's doing that with the new keyway installed.

It doesn't backfire. It doesn't kickback. I don't know what the original owner did to have the keyway shear. The blades look good with no obvious bends or gouges.

I'll keep messing with it. It will eventually succum to the pressure or take flying lessons.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Threads
Yes, you have a bad valve. Those symptoms you mentioned go straight to a valve issue............

Threads
Yes, you have a bad valve. Those symptoms you mentioned go straight to a valve issue............

Boudreaux, I pulled the muffler and the emmisions cover. I know, I know, that doesn't mean the valve is seating properly or not cracked, but both valves do move freely. Is that why I am hearing a hissing sound when pulling the starter rope?

Russ2251

Threads
You know when a flywheel shears the key and the flywheel spins about 180 degrees out, where the carb blows and the exhaust sucks...
Just to clarify...A sheared key would not do this.