Troy Bilt transmission problems

Bretheim

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2011 Troy Bilt pony. It started feeling sluggish going uphill, then randomly wouldn't move when put in gear (a little shake seemed to get it moving, but could have just been coincidence). Now it won't move at all. I've followed the speed selector all the way back to the transmission, and everything seems to move as it should. The belts need replacing, but are still tight. The gear selector moves fine - it had some dirt around the pin going into the transmission, but clearing that didn't seem to result in additional travel. The drive pulley on top of the transmission will not move by hand in forward, neutral or reverse. Wheels spin in neutral, lock up in forward and reverse; and, off the ground, spin in opposite directions in forward and reverse. Any ideas?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Couple things I don't understand here, but first off can you find the tag on the transmission? What is the brand and number? A lot of the current mowers have a non-serviceable throw-away transmission. Those can sometimes be taken apart and cleaned out, filled with heavier oil, run for a couple more years.

Bretheim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Couple things I don't understand here, but first off can you find the tag on the transmission? What is the brand and number? A lot of the current mowers have a non-serviceable throw-away transmission. Those can sometimes be taken apart and cleaned out, filled with heavier oil, run for a couple more years.

No brand on the transmission. There's a barcode, but no brand. It's on a Troy-Bilt Pony 13wn77s011.

dfbroxy

Threads
Was this issue ever resolved? Do you still need help?

Jamiejamison

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought my Troy Bilt pony at Lowe’s new in 2016. We had the same problem, starting about a month after we bought it. The first time it happened, I had to move it out of the way, so I shifted in in neutral and pushed it. When I went to use it, the lever was in forward but it wouldn’t move. Of course Lowe’s wanted nothing to do with it unless I paid a hefty fee for them to fix it at some repair facility of their choosing. The warranty wasn’t worth crap. Like you, I cleaned the pin and manually put it in all the gears to make sure the transmission was functioning properly. It has worked pretty well for the last couple years, as long as no one shifts the gear selector while the mower is turned off. Now, I have replaced the blades and both drive belts, but the trans is locked like yours. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Pass Christian Mississippi

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I bought my Troy Bilt pony at Lowe’s new in 2016. We had the same problem, starting about a month after we bought it. The first time it happened, I had to move it out of the way, so I shifted in in neutral and pushed it. When I went to use it, the lever was in forward but it wouldn’t move. Of course Lowe’s wanted nothing to do with it unless I paid a hefty fee for them to fix it at some repair facility of their choosing. The warranty wasn’t worth crap. Like you, I cleaned the pin and manually put it in all the gears to make sure the transmission was functioning properly. It has worked pretty well for the last couple years, as long as no one shifts the gear selector while the mower is turned off. Now, I have replaced the blades and both drive belts, but the trans is locked like yours. Any suggestions?

Well Jamie it goes like this.
Despite the fact that you pay less for the same mower at Lowes than you do at a mower shop, Lowes are the ones ripping you off
Particularly when the dealer pays a whole sale price from Troy-bilt that is often more than Lowes selling price.

Dad used to say "he who buys cheap pays twice" but with today's market it is more like pays thrice
Now I do not have any sort of devine wisdom nor knowledge so if you would like assistance with the mower you saved $ 200 on buying it from Lowes.
We need to know a little more than it was a 2016 model with a troy-bilt decal on the side

So start with the numbers on the tag under the seat starting with 13 or 14 then the make & model of the transmission, should be a bar code tag on both sides of the rear axel.

Jamiejamison

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply, I will get those numbers for you, and hopefully you can steer me in the right direction to get some replacement parts ordered. Thanks a bunch!

Jamiejamison

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is a photo of the specs.

Attachments

• 944A96F7-E479-4864-8747-EA4F5CD4D671.jpg
    944A96F7-E479-4864-8747-EA4F5CD4D671.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 11

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here is a photo of the specs.

This variation of the sliding sheave drive pulleys is a bit of a PIA.
As you have already worked out you must not change the speed controller position with the engine turned off.

If by "locked" you mean that the rear wheels are locked then the brake is jambed on.
If not could you expand your explaination .
Troy bilt have their parts manuals on line here https://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayOwnersManualList?storeId=10001&catalogId=14102&langId=-1&logoCode=02&modelNumber=13wm77ks011
I would hazard a guess that your parts book is the last one listed bring the 2015 version which you would have bought at Lowes in 2016
Then from this site http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/MTD-Service-Repair-Manuals/ download the 700 series service manual.
As K & T were nice enough to host all of these manuals it would be nice of you to buy some parts from them.
When you download the manual, the first few pages explain the MTD code and why you have a 700 series.