Toro self propelled mower, Briggs Stratton engine

Y2keddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a hard time starting this engine. The motor shaft seems to seize /lock up. After mowing for 1/2 hour, I stop the engine via brake/ground mechanism. If I try to restart, the pull cord will not pull. If I try electric start, the starter will engage and try to spin but can not. I pull the plug wire and can not spin the blade. If I turn the blade the opposite direction it will in seize and then turn freely in the right direction. Then the engine will start.

I thought maybe the drive belt might be stuck, so I took it off. It still won’t spin. It’s like a bad bearing, but it always frees up if I move the blade backward and fro. Then the engine runs fine for another mowing.

Today again it locked up after mowing,I moved the blade again. Then I put the belt back on, it started, and I mowed again.

The crankcase has plenty of oil,and it dosen’t Use any oil.

This is driving me crazy. I wonder if it’s an engine problem, possibly a bearing, or maybe the engine shaft mounted pulley has debrie under it causing it to drag against the motor base. When the shaft turns freely I can slide a feeler gauge under the pulley and find no interferance. I checked the braking mechanism and it’s not engaged.

Any ideas?

Russ2251

Threads
Sounds like a sticking flywheel brake.
Make sure brake is releasing when bail is pulled.
You may have to remove the top engine cowling to get a good visual.

Y2keddie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Brake is releasing