16 HP Vanguard 303777 Main Jet hard to remove

Rideau1

Threads
Main Jet.JPG

I have a carburetor on a 16 HP Vanguard that has a main jet that I can't remove. The item is 117 (attachment) and the screw driver slot has been compromised a bit making it hard to get a good torque on it. Is a special tool required?
Are these jets installed with a thread locker seal? I tried soaking with PB Blaster.
All suggestions are appreciated.

Threads
Yes there is a special tool for that........... Years ago when I got my first service tools from Briggs a special screwdriver was in in the service pack.......

They were patterned after the gunsmith screw drivers...... Straight all the way and a good solid edge on the blade...

Nowadays everybody has these bits in any tool kit you buy.... Only thing bad is that if it's a short bit to go in the handle it won't work... It has to be a long bit as in a 6 in 1 driver from Auto zone or similar parts store........

Keep spraying and praying Mon Ami ~!~!

www.autozone.com/screwdrivers/screwdriver/workchoice-6-in-1-screwdriver/83108_0_0

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Although I also have the Briggs carb tool ( you can buy them retail ) I use an impact grade driver bit ( 1/4" hex ) and one of those little ratchet drivers cause you can get a lot of down force & torque on them.
If it is bad, replace it.
On really bad ones I use a 1/8" LHT tap and a grade 9 allan bolt

Rideau1

Threads
Thanks for the helpful suggestions to my problem.
I wasn't successful. I found a 14" hex drive blade that was the right size and very square cut. I was working with a slot in the main jet that was compromised so my best shot had to be with a good fitting driver. I put the 1/4 inch blade in a handle and was careful to have it plumb to the slot. I put a fair bit of pressure on the driver and one in a million, the handle of the driver slipped down the diver shaft just as I was turning it. As you guessed, there wasn't sufficient pressure on the driver so it skipped out of the slot damaging it beyond use. Plan "B" is next as soon as I figure what that is!
I'm curious re Bertsmobile1's solution using a 1/8" LHT tap. I wonder how hard it is to find one of these? The 1/8" bolt may be a problem also. I have a pretty good fastener shop near me though but don't know where to find the tap. What about drilling and using an eezy out? Of course if the eezy out breaks you are finished! Would heat help extraction?
Thoughts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I have found myself in this situation, my go to is my Torx bits which fit my 1/4” socket. I drive the Torx bit with a small hammer and then using my 1/4” ratchet I’m able to remove most jets without damaging the threads. Might be worth a try, as the jet is toast already.

Rideau1

Threads
Well thanks to Rivets, I was easily able to get the main jet out.
I drilled a 3/32" hole in the jet then I hammered in a T10 Torx bit (about 1/8" into the jet...gently). I unscrewed it with a 1/4" ratchet.
Before I started I soaked it with PB Blaster for a couple of days.
I was nervous as I didn't want to ruin the carb. Now I have to order a few things for the carburetor. Thanks

Attachments

• 1-DSC07831.jpg
    1-DSC07831.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 13

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like that idea, another learned tip thanks for sharing.
I have a set of LH taps & LH drills so have been removing stuck bolts like this for decades.

Threads
Yes that is great trick for getting those stubborn jets out..... Like Bert said I used to use the LH bits also ...........

Plus Tard ~!~!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad it worked for you. I use Torx bits instead of easy outs on all soft metals, as they bite but not cut. Isn’t sharing what this site is all about, not public chat room as some threads have become.