It has been suggested to me to replace my old Cub Cadet with a Conquest....thoughts?

three4re

Threads
  • / It has been suggested to me to replace my old Cub Cadet with a Conquest....thoughts?
With as much discussion as has taken place over whether to keep or replace the Cub yet still unable to reach a decision, I would guess that you'll be second guessing whatever decision you make for years to come. You are suffering from what is known as 'analysis paralysis' i.e., afraid of making a mistake. If I had to guess your occupation, it would be engineer for the reason that I've seen so many engineers freeze up when making even the simplest decision when their own money was involved. (FWIW, I'm an engineer.)

You've been given reasons why you should keep the Cub. I've seen few if any reasons given as to why you should spend triple the money on a modern-day tractor with its modern day engine and systems. The Cub was built in a time when successive years showed improvements over the prior year's model. Sometime between then and now, that corporate business model was replaced with decades of cost cutting. If the Simplicity has not been a victim of this, by all means buy it.

You've heard the saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." In this case, the horse is standing at the water's edge: Please take a drink, or just flip a coin.

You're right...absolutely. Actually, I'm a retired elementary teacher...but interesting to hear about the engineer decision-freeze you refer to. No way to know if the Simplicity designs have fell victim to the cost cutting or not...can't imagine why they wouldn't have. Thanks for your thoughts. I know I need to make this decision soon.

jkraiza

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / It has been suggested to me to replace my old Cub Cadet with a Conquest....thoughts?
Simplicity Conquest I just bought one. It replace my old Scott S2554 after 20 years of mowing, snow plower. The trans pump went on it.
Could I have fixed it? Sure but not worth it compair to the new mowers out there.

So looking at other brands that are out there. The Simplicty became my choice. I like the power blade deck hight, power steering, back up stay on button, mesh seat, now water can stay on it and cooler seating comfort, fuel injected motor, LED headlight , ETC.
After mowing today and my wife used it and said the power steering was worth the price by it self.

I like making my life go easyer as I get older, My Simplicity snow blower with power chut controls and heated grips was a winner,
I also have a Scag Turf tiger II and a JD 4066R. So I got myself covered on just about and job around the house that comes up.

Buy a new mower you will thank yourself. Simplicity Conquest may be the right mower for you. :thumbsup:

Canadave

Threads
Please at least check a parts dook before posting drivel.
Ride on engines sit on top of the deck and are bolted down from underneath.
If you had ever actually seen an engine sitting on the floor it would be abundantly obvious how they mount.

Some of us are technopeasants who may be able to perform heart transplants or land on the moon or write books of the bible but are lost when it comes to

the ins and outs of lawn tractors so lighten up and get a life.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
WOW !! THIS thread, is ALMOST as good as the the Ford - Kavanaugh battle !! .. :laughing:..:laughing:

Canadave

Threads
Hi,

As can be seen on the Cub Cadet forum, I posted my recent dilemma in that my engine just went bad on my '72 Cub Cadet 129. This tractor has lasted me for 47 years and has still been running great until a connecting rod broke yesterday. A local dealer has suggested that (in his opinion anyway) it is not worth it to put a rebuilt engine in the Cub. I'm not certain of that. But, his other suggestion was to replace it with a Conquest, which he claims is a very good tractor. My Cub is all cast iron and steel...don't know about the Conquest. So, to help make this decision, I'm looking for any thoughts or input, especially since I know nothing about the newer Simplicities. My parents had a 1970s model for a number of years - don't recall what eventually happened to it, but I remember using it to mow their lawn. The name rang a bell as soon as the dealer mentioned it.

He told me a ballpark figure - with deck and snow plow - would be in the neighborhood of $5800. To put a new engine in the Cub, I'm looking at around $1k - $1200 or so, depending on how much work the job would entail. What makes the decision tough is that the rest of my tractor is ALSO as old as the engine, with the exception of several (actually quite a few) parts that have been replaced of late.

Thanks for any thoughts...
Keith

I had a Conquest for 15 years and it was fantastic and any problems were very minor such as replacing a voltage regulator. About two weeks ago it actually caught fire and was totally destroyed which was a fluke. The engine was hunting which might have had a bearing on it. I've heard of similar stories since. It had a Vanguard engine which was excellent. I was going to replace it with another Conquest but everyone recommended I get a zero turn because they're fun and I cut 4 acres so I would save a lot of time so I ordered a Simplicity Champion XT. I hope I don't regret that decision. The Conquest no longer has the Vanguard unless you get a more expensive model. It now comes with a Briggs Commercial engine. I couldn't find anything on the net about it but a friend who worked for a company in Alberta sold a lot of them and he said they were excellent and he never had any problems with them. I actually ordered a John Deere X 380 on the condition that the deck would be easy to remove and re-install but that turned out to be a lie so I sent it back. Removing the deck on a Conquest is a piece of cake. I have no reservations about recommending a Conquest assuming they haven't reduced the quality in any way.

jp1961

Threads
I had a Conquest for 15 years and it was fantastic and any problems were very minor such as replacing a voltage regulator. About two weeks ago it actually caught fire and was totally destroyed which was a fluke. The engine was hunting which might have had a bearing on it. I've heard of similar stories since.

Do the new ones come with a free Nomex suit??,,you don't park it inside your attached garage do you,,,LOL.

Talk about shake and bake (it's better than frying)!!

Regards

Jeff

Canadave

Threads
I had a Conquest for 15 years and it was fantastic and any problems were very minor such as replacing a voltage regulator. About two weeks ago it actually caught fire and was totally destroyed which was a fluke. The engine was hunting which might have had a bearing on it. I've heard of similar stories since.

Do the new ones come with a free Nomex suit??,,you don't park it inside your attached garage do you,,,LOL.

Talk about shake and bake (it's better than frying)!!

Regards

Jeff

Actually the tractor was outside when the mechanic came to fix it. He fixed the throttle problem and then HE put it in the garage planning to fix the hunting problem the next day. I came home after spending the day shopping in Kingston with my wife to discover that the tractor was burnt to the ground. Normally my tractor is always in the garage where I've always kept it for the past 15 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some of us are technopeasants who may be able to perform heart transplants or land on the moon or write books of the bible but are lost when it comes to

the ins and outs of lawn tractors so lighten up and get a life.

People who do not know how to fix their mowers come here
for help from people who do know, this includes myself.
If people wanted wild guesses for clowns who have no idea what they are babbleing about then there is Face Book, that is what it is there for.
It is not difficult to check facts before making statements ( unless you are President Trumph ).
Or if you don't know or are not sure use the prefix , "I think" or "not quite sure" or "from memory" ( if you do not have time to check ).

A lot of people use this site as a refference resource so it is important that what is posted is as close to being correct as possible.
It is not uncommon for some one to revive a thread that is many years old because they have been searching for answers.
So it is not a case of lightening up, it is a case of printing FACTS .