Kohler Courage 21 Issue

Fender 60

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is my first post here so I guess a little background is in order. I retired out of the Air Force in 2008 and have a strong mechanical background. In fact, one of my first jobs in high school was working for a lawn mower shop; that was in 1979. Mostly worked on Snapper mowers there but learned a lot and enjoyed it. Anyway, below is an issue I am having with my own mower and need some advice.

I own a Husky 46" riding mower that is about 7 years old and less than 100hrs. Each year I change the oil, oil filter, spark plug, air filter and fuel filter. The other day I noticed it was harder to start than normal and then it would only idle. When I attempted to advance the throttle, it would stall and shut down. After it got hot from idling, it would not start at all. Once it cools down, it will start again, but I still cannot advance the throttle from idle.

I will say that I was having trouble with the solenoid that shuts off the flow of fuel when the switch is turned off, so I installed an inline petcock so I could turn off the fuel when the mower was not in use. I did this last year and that eliminated my issues with fuel pouring out of the carb when my mower was stored. So I thought I would go ahead and get a new carb and install it and maybe that would correct the problem I mentioned above. I also adjusted the valves while I had the motor cowling off. Well nothing changed and I am stumped as to what could be causing the problem? Any advice is welcome.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post you model and spec numbers and I’ll get you a service manual. Two things I would check are choke fully closing and reset the governor. Both will be covered in the manual.

Fender 60

Forum Newbie
Threads
YTH21K46 is the model number.

The choke is functioning fine. My biggest question is why the engine wills start and idle when cold but not when hot? And, why it will not allow me to throttle up without it killing the engine? Something seems heat related for some reason; like the spark is breaking down maybe? As I stated, I had the identical issue before I installed the new carburetor.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I need the numbers for the engine.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Have you pulled the cover off the top of motor? Wonder if you have any cracks in your coil or mice ate into your plug wire...

Fender 60

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you pulled the cover off the top of motor? Wonder if you have any cracks in your coil or mice ate into your plug wire...

I have pulled off the cover. The coil and plug wire look fine but that doesn't mean they are.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe this will help. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Koh...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf
You’ll need an inline spark checker to see if the coil is breaking down due to heat. You could also get a can of carb cleaner and with the shroud cover off start the engine and spray cleaner where the carb is attached to the engine block, both when it is idling and when you try to get it throttle. If there is a change in engine speed, you have an air leak which is causing the problem. Also while it is idling, slowing remove the dipstick and let it rest on top of the tube. If it starts bouncing around you have a blow head gasket. Not uncommon with these engines.

Fender 60

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I actually got the engine to run pretty decent. I replaced the brand new sparkplug with another new plug. Replaced all of the carburetor and heat shield gaskets as well. Not sure which one of those made the difference? However after trying the dipstick suggestion, I think I may have some serious blow-by in the engine.

Deltadart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same Husky, YTH21K46, Kohler Courage engine. Mine has 280 hrs on it and is producing smoke during operation. Not a great deal but it is visible. I see on line this is not a good engine ( 610-3213) and is superseded by a 601 series. I am thinking of replacing the engine since I have the snow thrower attachment for this mower as well. My worry, is the replacement engine more of the same, Chinese mfg, and low quality.