Kohler Pro Throttle linkage set up

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kohler Pro 20hp CV240S. Spec 65551.

20180629_155148.jpg20180629_155223.jpg

I just replaced the carburetor today. Last year, (when I was even dumber than I am now), I tinkered with the linkage, especially the little screw with the nut on it. (not the governor screw) because it wouldn't rev up very high.
Well, the new carb allows it to rev up way too high.
When I throttle it down, nothing changes, unless I push on the lever where the screw driver is.
It's almost like it's too tight to go back to the left, when I throttle down. After I move it back (to the left) the engine throttles decreases it RPM's like it's supposed to.

Seems like there should be a spring to pull that back. But there's no holes for a spring to attach. So something is messed up somewhere.

Any idea's?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The high speed control lever (as seen in pic 5-37) doesn't retract when I lower the idle lever. I can bearly push on it with a screw driver and it idles down. But that's the only way. I've loosened the center screw, but that doesn't seem to help?

Correction: It's the lever that the screw bottoms out on. Not the one that it's actually screwed to.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you tried adjusting the throttle control cable.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you tried adjusting the throttle control cable.

Yes. And even the high speed screw. When I idle it up, using the throttle handle on the dash, it goes up like it's supposed to. But when I lower the throttle handle, it stays idled up, until push on the lever under the carb. It's not hard to push. I can do it with my finger. But it won't retract without some sort of extra pressure. Makes me think theirs supposed to be another spring that attached to it, and something solid (besides the governor)

There are two springs back there. One is pretty big. The other is a lot smaller.

Note: I don't think it's important. But I happened to notice, I have the choke and throttle control cable mount in the wrong place. They just need to be swapped. (per the pic in the manual)

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I meant adjust the cable on the engine control. You set the throttle control to idle, loosen the screw on the throttle bracket, then push or pull (I don’t know how you unit is set up) the entire cable to make sure the throttle is fully closed. Now tighten the cable down. This procedure will eliminate any play in the cable which could be causing the problem.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spring circled in red is either the wrong spring or connected in the wrong spot. Cable circled in blue looks like it used to connect further back.
kohler.jpg