Fix up old Cub or buy something new?

three4re

Threads
Hi,

Long story that I'll condense as best I can. My tractor, a 129 hydro, is a 1972 model, built by IH. I've used it now for 47 years. Over that time, various things have gone wrong (though relatively minor for the most part), and a bit more major engine work just a few months ago. All was working fine until yesterday when a rod broke. I know this cause I pulled the head and noticed the valves are working but not the piston. I am uncertain as to what to do. This has been a highly dependable tractor and so a part of me is inclined to put a new Kohler 301 engine in it. On the other side of the coin, the entire tractor is the same age as the engine and no knowing how long all the other parts will last.

So, I'm faced with deciding on what I want to replace it with (if that will be the chosen option). Any suggestions? I do not hear good things regarding MTD - at least relative to the new Cubs. And, have talked to many people in the business that suggest fixing up this old Cub is the better way to go. I also hear stories about almost any new tractor as only lasting 3-5 years.

I need something that has a good amount of weight to it since I also plow large amounts of snow at my property when we get significant storms.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Keith

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think a tear down just to see what is all actually damaged would be first priority. Pics of things would be helpful.

So It sounds like the rod did not make a hole in the block, that's a plus at least.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have one of the old mules, which I mean, if you give it a sugar cube it will continue to provide you service. Here’s what I would recommend you do. Find the oldest, most trusted small engine mechanic in your area and pay to have him take a look at your engine. He will have the knowledge of these engines needed to give you a recommendation. He doesn’t have to be servicing engines now, you want to use his brain. You’ll be looking for someone with a minimum of 30 years experience, back then we rebuilt instead of replace, so his background will be invaluable to you. We cannot see what you are talking about, which means we would only be guessing. I just got done rebuilding a K341 at a total cost of $650, didn’t think it was worth it until I saw the rest of the unit. Don’t forget to look at the older guys working for farm implement dealers, they started on small engines. Better to pay for an opinion, than to pay for a mistake. Good Luck.

three4re

Threads
All good thoughts and much appreciated. Lots to think about with it. I am in contact with a guy who rebuilds the old engines - he gave me a good price on a short block he's currently finishing up and also said he could expand to the point where I'd have a "drop-in" engine tuned and ready to go. The sentimental part of me that is so attached to this Cub truly wants to have it fixed, especially when I hear about the new mowers not lasting very long in many cases. A tear-down is undoubtedly in order, but I can't imagine that the diagnosis would reveal anything other than needing to put a new engine in it. I wouldn't think that putting a new rod, piston, rings, etc. into the old block would be advisable. Talked to a local dealer who suggests I buy a new Simplicity "Conquest" model as a worthy replacement for the Cub. $5800 including the deck and snow plow. So I guess a next step is to go see one of those, read reviews, etc. and try to find out how they hold up. No new tractor will be built like the Cub, but this Conquest certainly has about the same weight as mine. The dealer also rebuilds the Kohlers and is very familiar with my Cub and the old engines, etc., and recommends not doing it (the rebuild). My brother, who is a mechanic and runs the shop that just worked on my Cub just a few months ago (wasn't running and took valve work along with new carb, voltage regulator, coil, etc.) also does not think it's worth putting more money into.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even if you buy the new mower, DO NOT trade in the Cub or let it get out of your possession.

I have a 24 year old AGS2140, which is a good mower compared to what's available today and will still have it when I croak.

Your Cub is a step above mine. I made the mistake of letting our 1970 107 (or 109? I can't remember; it was the 10 hp version of yours) get away from me and have regretted it ever since.

mrfred54

Threads
Rebuild it. you have one of the best cadets ever built. doing a 129 right now myself. these kohler engines are just about bullet proof. look at how many years it has already given you. while at it change the hytran and filter for the diff. and hydro. also make sure the fan is in good order on the drive shaft. good luck and do what is right for the ole girl:

three4re

Threads
Thanks....leaning towards fixing it. Interesting that you mention that fan, since a few blades on it have been broken for years. The guy from whom I'm thinking of getting the rebuilt engine says best time to replace it is when the old engine is out. Not quite sure how to do it, but I'm sure they can tell me on the Cub Cadet forum.

Update...7/9... Just looked at the Simplicity Conquest today. Nice enough tractor and I'm sure is built well, etc. but what I noticed right away is how complicated everything appears to be. My local IH dealer had mentioned that, from his viewpoint, they are not real easy to work on. I sort of got the same feeling. The deck appears to come off easy enough, but also looks big and bulky. Electric motor to raise and lower the deck. I didn't get the impression that it's real easy to take the blades off to sharpen them but I may be wrong. My Cub is basically very easy to work on and just seems so much more uncluttered.

The Simplicity dealer quoted me around $8600 including deck and snow plow, whereas the shop that I'd buy the complete engine from (not just short or long block - but total engine minus the S/G) quoted me $1650 (once I get a refund on the core).

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Decisions, decisions..... :confused2:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When Briggs took over Simplicity they made very few changes.
I am assuming that it was part of their vertical intergration plan to ensure there will always be a market for their engines.
implicities were never that, Simple, but they are excellent mowers and that one should be around long enough to mow the grass over your grave.
AS time goes by more & more moron lawers keep getting cases in front of bleeding heart judges who award silly compensation payouts to people who really should have either been allowed to die of fined for their own stupidity.
Thus to prove the mowers are being made idiot proof, they get more & more complicated and you can expect this to happen at an accelerating rate.
Simplicity has always been a top end mower so if the perfect design requires 15 idler pulleys, then they fit 15 idler pulleys.
I am always reminded of a customer with an old Bolens.
His father had bought it, when he moved onto acreage and he had now inherited the mower & the estate.
It needed a new belt, the first one that had ever been put on the deck so it had run better than 20 years, but fitting it was a nightmare as there were pulleys & guides everywhere so when the deck moved through it's 6" cutting range the belt run remained almst strait from one pulley to another.
Now days to cut cost they just fit deeper grooved pulleys which wear out belts 50 times faster.

I use a yard crane to lift the mowers up so I can get underneath them comfortably and for tractor type mowers that might mean standing them up near vertical
Inside the shop I use an engine crane for the same purpose.
We use an old Dexion pallet racking beam as a spreader bar and with that I can lift the entire mower 4' in the air.
A younger friend drives his mower up onto his tall trailer then he puts stands under the ramps and runs off the trailer so the mower is sitting about 2' off the ground to work underneath it.

The real question you need to think about is how comfortable the Simplicity is for you to drive now and in the future.