My Cub Cadet 129 just broke a connecting rod - repair or replace with a new tractor?

three4re

Threads
  • / My Cub Cadet 129 just broke a connecting rod - repair or replace with a new tractor?
Hi,

Long story that I'll condense as best I can. My tractor is a 1972 model, built by IH. I've used it now for 47 years. Over that time, various things have gone wrong (though relatively minor for the most part), and a bit more major engine work just a few months ago. All was working fine until yesterday when a rod broke. I know this cause I pulled the head and noticed the valves are working but not the piston. I am uncertain as to what to do. This has been a highly dependable tractor and so a part of me is inclined to put a new Kohler 301 engine in it. On the other side of the coin, the entire tractor is the same age as the engine and no knowing how long all the other parts will last.

So, I'm faced with deciding on what I want to replace it with (if that will be the chosen option). Any suggestions? I do not hear good things regarding MTD - at least relative to the new Cubs. And, have talked to many people in the business that suggest fixing up this old Cub is the better way to go. I also hear stories about almost any new tractor as only lasting 3-5 years.

I need something that has a good amount of weight to it since I also plow large amounts of snow at my property when we get significant storms.

Thanks for any suggestions...
Keith

BanjoJohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / My Cub Cadet 129 just broke a connecting rod - repair or replace with a new tractor?
If the Cub satisfactorily does all you need it to do, I'd say re-power it. If you've used it this long, it appears that you take care of your equipment and are not overloading it by trying to use it to perform a task that it's not suited for.

three4re

Threads
If the Cub satisfactorily does all you need it to do, I'd say re-power it. If you've used it this long, it appears that you take care of your equipment and are not overloading it by trying to use it to perform a task that it's not suited for.

Absolutely have taken as best care of it as I can (well...haven't changed the trans filter as often as probably should, but then with the slow leak I figure I'm constantly adding new stuff all the time!) Regularly change oil, lube all fittings every spring, sharpen blades, etc. What I can't do I either bug people on these forms to get more knowledge (LOL) or else bother my brother (excellent mechanic) or my local IH parts supplier - who has worked on these things his whole life. I'm seriously considering going the drop-in rebuilt engine route - somehow that sounds easier than getting a short block and having to swap all the necessary accessories and parts. I don't even run it at full throttle when mowing - I know this is recommended - but I've always felt that I'm just overtaxing the engine. Probably not, but, whatever I've done - it sure hasn't hurt it if it lasted this long.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can look at it this way
1) your Cub was built to be repaired and run forever, there are bearings and bushes every where they are needed and at worst some might need a custom made replacements
2) to get a mower of equivalent quality now days you will need to spend better than $ 15,000
3) to get an engine of equivalent quality you will have to spend $ 5,000
4) if you have been running it for 47 years then how much longer do you expect to be physically able to run it , I turn 69 this year and time is definately taking it's toll on me.

SO it is going to be a value judgement.
I would go for a new engine if I thought that I would be able to use the mower for another 10 years.
And because I never throw anything out, it would then be a case of striping the engine and evaluating the cost of a rebuild.
The older engines are a lot tougher than their modern throw away equivalents so are worth fixing.

three4re

Threads
You can look at it this way
1) your Cub was built to be repaired and run forever, there are bearings and bushes every where they are needed and at worst some might need a custom made replacements
2) to get a mower of equivalent quality now days you will need to spend better than $ 15,000
3) to get an engine of equivalent quality you will have to spend $ 5,000
4) if you have been running it for 47 years then how much longer do you expect to be physically able to run it , I turn 69 this year and time is definately taking it's toll on me.

SO it is going to be a value judgement.
I would go for a new engine if I thought that I would be able to use the mower for another 10 years.
And because I never throw anything out, it would then be a case of striping the engine and evaluating the cost of a rebuild.
The older engines are a lot tougher than their modern throw away equivalents so are worth fixing.

A local dealer suggested that a Simplicity Conquest would be a worthy replacement - he said about approx. $6k which would include a blade and deck. I know what you mean about starting to wear down before the tractor! Guys on some of these forums talk about replacing the engine and then the tractor will be good for another 40 years. Seriously? At 62 currently, I won't be here to see if the Cub is still around or not!

three4re

Threads
Just looked at the Simplicity Conquest today. Nice enough tractor and I'm sure is built well, etc. but what I noticed right away is how complicated everything appears to be. My local IH dealer had mentioned that, from his viewpoint, they are not real easy to work on. I sort of got the same impression having looked around it. The deck appears to come off easy enough, but also looks big and bulky to work with. I didn't get the impression that it's real easy to take the blades off to sharpen them but I may be wrong. My Cub is basically very easy to work on and seems so much more uncluttered in design.

The Simplicity dealer quoted me around $8600 for including deck and snow plow, whereas the shop that I'd buy the complete engine from (not just short or long block - but total engine minus the S/G) quoted me $1650 (once I get a refund on the core). If the Simplicity would only last 3-5 years, I'll be right back where I am now. If the Cub lasts that long yet (could easily in my and others' opinion), I'm way ahead.