23 hp horizontal Briggs mouse nest overheated one cylinder push rods off

Threads
  • / 23 hp horizontal Briggs mouse nest overheated one cylinder push rods off
Well I watched part of the video. Might be OK if you didn't have to put up with all the BS. When I have something to fix that is what I am interested in. I can tell you this, that head can be repaired so it will stay and be more certain that a new head and the cost is a new head gasket, not $150. As I said before, dozens and dozens of people have use my fix over the last 10 - 12 years. I have heard nothing but good reports.

Walt Conner

Tinker I do agree with you all the way on repairing the head... I peen them in on the L heads, and that would be a way to do the OHV also I assume..... But I always recommend a new or used head.....

If Hutch does have that issue, which so far so good, it's fine and dandy, he would be very appreciative for your info....

In fact I am curious myself about your way of doing it........ Send me your info... You have my addy already Mon Ami Merci.....

Hutchinshills

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked the valve guides and one is sticking out 1/2" That's eye estimate.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Tinker I do agree with you all the way on repairing the head... I peen them in on the L heads, and that would be a way to do the OHV also I assume..... But I always recommend a new or used head.....

If Hutch does have that issue, which so far so good, it's fine and dandy, he would be very appreciative for your info....

In fact I am curious myself about your way of doing it........ Send me your info... You have my addy already Mon Ami Merci.....

Well I had your address until my computer crashed and I lost all addresses. If you have mine, send test so I will have it. You are only partially right about repair, simply peening will not hold.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Tinkerer200

Threads

Your guide has slipped. Simply driving back in place will not hold it once it has slipped. Thread lock, JB weld, peening around it will not hold it. My fix will.

Walt Conner

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Walt, I'm interested in your method as well. I'll send you an email.

Tinkerer200

Threads
OK, this points up the problem of not posting the engine model number. All along I had been assuming that we were talking about a V twin Intek as this is the most common engine to which slipped valve guides occurs. Just now I notice the email from OP says "Vanguard". I have already sent a Service Manual for Intek. I do not recommend my fix for Vanguard since Vanguard offers replacement valve guides. The fix was developed for Intek because replacement valve guides are not available for Intek and B&S says you must buy a new head. People have used the fix on Vanguard but it alters the head until replacing the valve guide would be problematic. Always post the engine model number when asking advice on engine problems.

Ealt Conner

Tinkerer200

Threads

You need to contact me again, I sent you the wrong Service Manual thinking we were talking about an Intek and computer trouble has prevented me from retrieving your address.

Walt Conner