23 hp horizontal Briggs mouse nest overheated one cylinder push rods off

Hutchinshills

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 23 hp horizontal Briggs mouse nest overheated one cylinder push rods off
I purchased used Simplicity Conquest with Briggs 23 hp. Both push rods were off in one cylinder, but appeared undamaged. I cleaned mouse nest and puts rods back on.
I checked gap - ok. I ran for two hours and all is fine. BUT should I replace the head? Can worse damage occur?

Threads
You should be fine.... If anything was damaged it would be the head gasket.... Run it and after 10 minutes pull the dipstick if smoke or steam comes out then the head gasket is bad..............

Let us know Mon Ami

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well the push rods came out for some reason. Check that the valve guides are not more than 1/8" above the head casting. IF one or more is, I have a tried and true fix. I can send it and a Service Manual IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me the engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

Threads
Tinker is right about the valve guides........ But if your mower runs good then you are in good shape.......

NOW if you have the valves adjusted just right and then you have an issue, Then it will be time to investigate the head........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Hutch if you do have a issue with your head itself, then use this video as a guide to help you along .........

Skip to the 18 minute part and the guide is explained how much it should be above the head casting.........If you want to watch the comedy skit at the beginning and the end....

https://youtu.be/Pl5vNccJwQs

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Well I watched part of the video. Might be OK if you didn't have to put up with all the BS. When I have something to fix that is what I am interested in. I can tell you this, that head can be repaired so it will stay and be more certain that a new head and the cost is a new head gasket, not $150. As I said before, dozens and dozens of people have use my fix over the last 10 - 12 years. I have heard nothing but good reports.

Walt Conner

Hutchinshills

Forum Newbie
Threads
As suggested I cut grass for 10 minutes, checked the dip stick, not smoke came out. I'l watch the video.

Hutchinshills

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do I Check that the valve guides are not more than 1/8" above the head casting? And thank you all.

Threads
How do I Check that the valve guides are not more than 1/8" above the head casting? And thank you all.

The valve cover has to come off....... Get a flashlight and look inside the spring.. You should see it...... But when you watch the video the actual height is about a 1/4 of an inch..... I see that all the time in my shop....

Like I said before if your mower is running good and you don't have an issue with your push rods coming out again in the near future then you are in good shape......

You said you ran it and pulled the oil stick and every thing was fine.......Good on your part Mon Ami ...........

In other words If if ain't BROKE don't FIX it ......... LOL ~!~!~~!

Let us know Mon Ami .... Keep us informed in the future..........

Threads
BTW I think you will enjoy the comedy skits in the first part and the end of the video ......... ~!~!