Raptor Owner

Threads
Hello,
By name is Bob, and I own a 42" Raptor. I enjoy cutting my lawn and my main hobby is taking care of my property.
I have added the Engine Shield, Mulch Kit, Muffler Heat Shield and Hour Meter to my Zero Turn.
I have had it for over 5 yrs and it has never needed a repair, just normal maintenance. Great little machine. Only thing I wish it did have was a Full Floating Deck.
Anyone know if the Deck can be upgraded to floating? I don't think it is really possible on a small mower like this.

Attachments

• 20180623_103336.jpg
    20180623_103336.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 64

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,
By name is Bob, and I own a 42" Raptor. I enjoy cutting my lawn and my main hobby is taking care of my property.
I have added the Engine Shield, Mulch Kit, Muffler Heat Shield and Hour Meter to my Zero Turn.
I have had it for over 5 yrs and it has never needed a repair, just normal maintenance. Great little machine. Only thing I wish it did have was a Full Floating Deck.
Anyone know if the Deck can be upgraded to floating? I don't think it is really possible on a small mower like this.

Nice looking yard. Do you have to water to get it like that?

What do you mean by a "full floating deck"?

Threads
Nice looking yard. Do you have to water to get it like that?

What do you mean by a "full floating deck"?

Some Decks hang on loose chains, so when the deck trys to scalp on a bump, the deck rolls on the Anti Scalp wheels on the deck, stopping the mower from scalping. This deck is more firmly held in place by hardware, that can move a little, but it doesn't really float like the chain mounted ones.
And yes, we have a sprinkler system. This is Texas, and it's pretty necessary if you want a green lawn. Really, finally got the lawn about perfect, it might not stay that way!!

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Hustler section.

RetiredGuns

Threads
Welcome aboard. I purchased a 42" Raptor myself and immediately added a muffler shied, engine shield and hour meter. Fast forward a few years and it runs like a champ!

mhavanti

Threads
Gunny,

Its been way too long since you've shown your face around here. Hope you're doing well and the ole Raptor is armed with a .50 now that you have armor on the
heads.

Glad to see you back.

Thank you for your service and look forward to your sage advice to the youngin's again.

Max

Donkman

Threads
Some Decks hang on loose chains, so when the deck trys to scalp on a bump, the deck rolls on the Anti Scalp wheels on the deck, stopping the mower from scalping. This deck is more firmly held in place by hardware, that can move a little, but it doesn't really float like the chain mounted ones.
And yes, we have a sprinkler system. This is Texas, and it's pretty necessary if you want a green lawn. Really, finally got the lawn about perfect, it might not stay that way!!

Hi Bob, I also have the same machine and this sounds like an interesting idea. Did you ever find out if this is possible?

Donkman

piratejason

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Bob, I also have the same machine and this sounds like an interesting idea. Did you ever find out if this is possible?

Donkman

I am trying to do the opposite.

My deck is hung by worn hardware and swings/floats too much. I would love to stiffen it up so when I turn the trim side does not dip. Fifth year of owning my Raptor, it continues to be a great mower.

Thanks,
Piratejason

mhavanti

Threads
Gentlemen,

Both the chain and bolt supported decks are "fully floating". Difference is the hardware only. The chain has links to keep it from moving forward and aft as well as side to side. The bolt supported deck bolt can move up several inches because the bolt moves upward thru a hole. Simply different hangers.

As far as tightening up the deck, that most likely is not your problem. The reason you are crop circling or for better terms, scalping. Most likely your tire pressures are too low. Raise the pressures to 12 pounds at least depending upon the width of your front and rear tires.

If they are narrow, you may need even a higher pressure to keep the mower from leaning when turning.

Good luck to you both,

Max

piratejason

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen,

Both the chain and bolt supported decks are "fully floating". Difference is the hardware only. The chain has links to keep it from moving forward and aft as well as side to side. The bolt supported deck bolt can move up several inches because the bolt moves upward thru a hole. Simply different hangers.

As far as tightening up the deck, that most likely is not your problem. The reason you are crop circling or for better terms, scalping. Most likely your tire pressures are too low. Raise the pressures to 12 pounds at least depending upon the width of your front and rear tires.

If they are narrow, you may need even a higher pressure to keep the mower from leaning when turning.

Good luck to you both,

Max

You are correct about the tire pressure - I learned that lesson about 18 months into my Raptor ownership! I keep all tires at 15 PSI+ to negate that effect. I think I may be onto something. The hangers and bolts are worn (to be expected after this amount of use). The past week I put heavyduty tie wraps on either side of the hangers so they could not "slide" along the hanging bolts. I have not see any crop circles since. All bolts are tight but there was considerable slop on the hangers - the tie wraps seem to have solved my issue.

Thanks again for your response and reminder about tire pressure. Sometimes the simplest things are the most overlooked!