Raptor Owner

mhavanti

Threads
PirateJason,

You can actually hang your deck with chain if you would like. All you need to do is take a few links of chain, run a bolt thru the bottom link and thru the deck mounts. Measure the distance needed, cut off the chain to allow for a bolt head to be welded to the upper chain link. Run the bolt thru the upper hardware, add the washers and lock nut. Adjust to height and wala, you now have a chain hung deck.

I am not advising you to do so, nor am I stating it would be the right thing to do. Matter of fact, I say don't do this for any reason. Only do it if you can't help yourself and go against the earlier advise.

Have fun with it.

Max

Threads
You are correct about the tire pressure - I learned that lesson about 18 months into my Raptor ownership! I keep all tires at 15 PSI+ to negate that effect. I think I may be onto something. The hangers and bolts are worn (to be expected after this amount of use). The past week I put heavyduty tie wraps on either side of the hangers so they could not "slide" along the hanging bolts. I have not see any crop circles since. All bolts are tight but there was considerable slop on the hangers - the tie wraps seem to have solved my issue.

Thanks again for your response and reminder about tire pressure. Sometimes the simplest things are the most overlooked!

It looks like everyone has a similar issues with "Scalp" and has dealt with it with some success. I have pushed the tire pressure to about 15psi, and it helped.
After seeing the comment that both the Chains and Bolts "Float", I looked and see that this is correct. I can lift the deck and it moves some. I might try and add a Deck Wheel on the front of the deck. Has anyone found a good add on wheel? I saw some in the Home Store and it looked pretty cheap. If I'm going to drill my deck, it better be worth while.

I haven't been on this site in a while and glad I came back to find what had been posted. Thanks for all the good feedback.
I might have not replied to the correct people, but please forgive me, I'm not a practiced Blogger:tongue::confused2:
Bob

mhavanti

Threads
Bob,

Shoot a photo of your tie wraps from a few angles so that others may give that a shot. Maybe a closeup from above as well as from a level side on shot or two.

I didn't go back to see if you have a standard or SD. However, since you mentioned adding a wheel to yours, I'm guessing a standard. Adding a front wheel, maybe two isn't a bad idea. Adding a wheel on the rear of the deck on both sides is also a great idea. Anytime you can keep the deck from a pounding will help save all connecting hardware.

Good luck,

Max

CMOS

Threads
Welcome aboard. I purchased a 42" Raptor myself and immediately added a muffler shied, engine shield and hour meter. Fast forward a few years and it runs like a champ!

RG,

Why are people adding that engine shield to their mowers?

CMOS

mhavanti

Threads
CMOS and Bob,

It is to protect the heads and carburetor from being damaged in the event you turn into or back into an object that doesn't want to be moved. It happens more often than you'd think. Cheap insurance for your little motor.

Max