Deck Washing?

brewsky

Threads
Just got a new S240, getting ready to use it for the first time.

This is the first mower I've had with a deck wash port, and am trying to decide whether to use it or not.

I don't cut grass when it is wet, so I don't get a lot of build up under the deck, and when there is some, I just scrape it off.

Seems to me that wetting the deck at the end of every use would promote rusting?

Also, letting water sit in the cups at the bottom of the spindles cannot be good for them??

Attachments

• spindle1.jpg
    spindle1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 16

dfbroxy

Threads
You are 100% right about not using the washout port, unless you plan on replacing the deck later on. Another good idea is to coat the underside of it with a quality paint on bedliner. I can tell that is a Deere so post more pics.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ditto on the advice of NOT using the wash-port or washing the mower with a hose or especially a pressure-washer, use a blower or air-hose to clean it off, then a damp rag if you want, water on a mower will DEFINITELY shorten it's life-span, especially on the cutting deck, where there are way too many places to trap water, what you've stated is correct.. proper maintenance and oil-changes are the best way to ensure a long lasting machine, RUST NEVER SLEEPS !!!! ..:thumbsup:

brewsky

Threads
Thanks for the replies.

Here is the Deere and what it replaced...….a 44 year old IH Cub Cadet....kinda sad to see it go :frown:

Attachments

• s240.jpg
    s240.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 11
  • cub.jpg
    cub.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 13

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice looking old Cub. Looks like it had a lot of life left in it. Was it one of the hydrostats that was controlled operated by the left hand?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just know that ol Cub was built like a Battle-ship, AHHhhh the good ol stuff !! very sad my friend, VERY SAD .....

brewsky

Threads
Yes, it was left hand control....forward, reverse and brake all in one.....not sure how I will adapt to the foot pedals just yet!

And it was built like a battleship....only problem was , it turned like one too!...….. Not great for running the obstacle course in my yard!

The Deere feels like power steering compared to the old cub!

I already miss it though!

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wax my mower @ end of every mow season, most particularly the DECK outside. Reason is, it makes it very easy to blow off & then hit it with my Cal Duster. Looks new again.

I would agree AVOID the water, I sometimes wonder if the makers said hey let's throw on the water connector so we can sell more spindles & decks.

Anyhow, It would be nice if you could have kept both, but I know how that is. Nice old Cub, but the new JD will ease your pain. :thumbsup:

brewsky

Threads
I would agree AVOID the water, I sometimes wonder if the makers said hey let's throw on the water connector so we can sell more spindles & decks.
It DOES make you wonder! :rolleyes: