Engine Exmark Radius E-Series Oil Drain Tube Damage - Help!

lcole927

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new Exmark Radius E-Series 60" zero turn (with the Exmark engine) and just completed my 5 hour break-in oil change. The problem is, when I was disconnecting the drain hose from the engine shroud I broke the mount off the engine shroud. I finished the oil change and then started the mower up expecting oil to be blown out everywhere. To my surprise, no oil came out the drain hose and I was able to move the mower back in the garage.

In researching the problem I haven't been able to find much. I did see that many of the older Exmark mowers just had what appeared to be a plug in the end of the drain tube. I can't see where oil transfers from the drain connection on the bottom of the engine back up to the engine shroud.

If I plug this drain tube near where it's supposed to connect to the engine shroud will the mower work properly?

Any help would be appreciated.

bbarras85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new Exmark Radius E-Series 60" zero turn (with the Exmark engine) and just completed my 5 hour break-in oil change. The problem is, when I was disconnecting the drain hose from the engine shroud I broke the mount off the engine shroud. I finished the oil change and then started the mower up expecting oil to be blown out everywhere. To my surprise, no oil came out the drain hose and I was able to move the mower back in the garage.

In researching the problem I haven't been able to find much. I did see that many of the older Exmark mowers just had what appeared to be a plug in the end of the drain tube. I can't see where oil transfers from the drain connection on the bottom of the engine back up to the engine shroud.

If I plug this drain tube near where it's supposed to connect to the engine shroud will the mower work properly?

Any help would be appreciated.
I just did the same thing to my Quest mower. I think i will just plug the end of the hose for safe measure.

JC121

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just had the same thing happen to me. Any solution to repairing this or just plug the drain?

Born2Mow

Threads
Possible Solution

• The smaller B&S engines use a very similar flexible hose to drain the engine oil. However, their take on it is to stopper the end of the tube with a separate cap & cover affair that is attached to the hose end. It is not part of the engine cowling as on the Exmark. Since this is a separate piece, you can buy just this part and fit it to the hose end. I found this part on the 10HP single cylinder B&S used on the Hustler Dash series.

• You do NOT want to leave the end of the hose open during operation. The volume of the crankcase is changing due to the pistons going up and down. This means that the open hose will be sucking and blowing dirt directly into the crankcase and engine oil supply. If you must run the engine I highly advise a cork or some other type of stopper for the drain hose.

Hope this helps.