MTD Yard Machine questions

mikemich

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, owner of an at least 10 year old MTD Yard Machine. Of course the lack of a floating deck
being an issue, the blades are subject to damage. Is there any modification for that, first question…
but assuming not, is there a source for blades that are not, for lack of a better term, total crap -
and do not bend easily and often requiring replacement over and over?

I don't want to spend 3K on a lawn tractor and would rather try and 'work with' what I already have before
i just throw out a perfectly good tractor in the event there aren't stronger blades i can retrofit on this one.

Thanks for any help!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what kind of blades are you using ?? .. PLASTIC ?? most times blades only get bent from hitting things like tree stumps, rocks, metal sprinkler heads, or some other solid object, what & where are you mowing ??

mhavanti

Threads
MikeMich,

What Yardman do you have that the deck does not float? Model and serial please sir.

Max

mikemich

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just what kind of blades are you using ?? .. PLASTIC ?? most times blades only get bent from hitting things like tree stumps, rocks, metal sprinkler heads, or some other solid object, what & where are you mowing ??

The blades aren't Plastic. What's being mowed is grass. Doesn't help to talk to me like an idiot.
This is a decent size semi-rural area lot -somewhat wooded, and I cut around a fair number of mature trees.

Blades are hardened steel that fit the lawnmower.

I've owned a LOT of mowers over 5 decades where blades have NEVER bent even when accidentally
had occasion to hit some (non-metal) object like a root or whatever - really hard.

Yes I'm real careful and occasionally might 'top' a tree root by accident but it shouldn't bend a blade.
I clear anything I can before I mow - maybe not literally every single twig. Have gone through a number of
blades on this mower and they seem to be crap.

mikemich

Forum Newbie
Threads
MikeMich,

What Yardman do you have that the deck does not float? Model and serial please sir.

Max

Sure, thanks!

Model: 13A3665G000
SERIAL: 1B283B80200
Tractor: 42SD 65PD 17.5 HP

mhavanti

Threads
Mike,

In Boo's defense, he was trying to bring a bit of comedic interaction. He'll grow on you. If not, just punch him in the teeth and then you two can share a beer and all will be forgotten. lol

That is close enough to be the very same machine as my 1996 MTD Yardman All Wheel Steer. Mine is a 7 speed or seven slots for the variable speed pulley adjust to stop in. I prefer to call this set up a variable speed mower. Mine too is a 42" cut and low and behold after 21 years, I bent the living crap out of one blade. The blades are original blades, been sharpened one time and they were sharpened and honed to clear cut my arm hair. Boyeeeeeeee did they cut nicely.

What my neighbor hit was not seen at first in the tall combination grass and overwhelmingly heavy weeds. He couldn't get it started afterward so I had to go rescue it. Once I lifted the deck off it, it turns out to have been a truck axle driven into the ground for a corner stake. Did I mention the mower stopped immediately? At least that's what the neighbor said. I heard it from my house 300 feet away. I have loaned the mower out twice and determined that wouldn't happen a third time.

Last year, my oldest brother was in hospice and thus I mowed his complex for him when I would be in the state. Grass was always no less than 20 inches and more before I could get the mower back out there to cut. Each time I went out there, I'd find a dog auger tie with the deck, a hole dug just wide enough to drop a tire in with another hole hiding a full roll of 1/8" coated wire rope. I can tell you right now that wire rope or if you're like me, "cable" will stop a deck and any forward movement immediately. It took about a hour and a half to get the mower unwound and able to start again. Not of these latter situations bent the blades, however, the now look like a serrated knife. I just sharpened them to a razor edge and put it back to work once they were balanced.

The truck axle did bend it and it refused to be straightened at home without a torch and a big vise. However, a torch does NOT belong near a mower blade.

So, the blades can be bent. What will bend them in one case that didn't in the next does not always allow explanation.

Hope you get a long life out of your MTD. Mine runs like a "Deere", steers like a Rolls Royce and looks like hammered Shyte!

Max

mikemich

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mike,

In Boo's defense, he was trying to bring a bit of comedic interaction. He'll grow on you. If not, just punch him in the teeth and then you two can share a beer and all will be forgotten. lol

That is close enough to be the very same machine as my 1996 MTD Yardman All Wheel Steer. Mine is a 7 speed or seven slots for the variable speed pulley adjust to stop in. I prefer to call this set up a variable speed mower. Mine too is a 42" cut and low and behold after 21 years, I bent the living crap out of one blade. The blades are original blades, been sharpened one time and they were sharpened and honed to clear cut my arm hair. Boyeeeeeeee did they cut nicely.

What my neighbor hit was not seen at first in the tall combination grass and overwhelmingly heavy weeds. He couldn't get it started afterward so I had to go rescue it. Once I lifted the deck off it, it turns out to have been a truck axle driven into the ground for a corner stake. Did I mention the mower stopped immediately? At least that's what the neighbor said. I heard it from my house 300 feet away. I have loaned the mower out twice and determined that wouldn't happen a third time.

Last year, my oldest brother was in hospice and thus I mowed his complex for him when I would be in the state. Grass was always no less than 20 inches and more before I could get the mower back out there to cut. Each time I went out there, I'd find a dog auger tie with the deck, a hole dug just wide enough to drop a tire in with another hole hiding a full roll of 1/8" coated wire rope. I can tell you right now that wire rope or if you're like me, "cable" will stop a deck and any forward movement immediately. It took about a hour and a half to get the mower unwound and able to start again. Not of these latter situations bent the blades, however, the now look like a serrated knife. I just sharpened them to a razor edge and put it back to work once they were balanced.

The truck axle did bend it and it refused to be straightened at home without a torch and a big vise. However, a torch does NOT belong near a mower blade.

So, the blades can be bent. What will bend them in one case that didn't in the next does not always allow explanation.

Hope you get a long life out of your MTD. Mine runs like a "Deere", steers like a Rolls Royce and looks like hammered Shyte!

Max

Thanks Max. Appreciate the help. Since the deck doesn't float, it tends to cause this to hack the S*** out of anything that isn't horizontal with the Plane....and, the blades I'm finding for replacement seem so weak that if you hit anything harder than a mushroom you have to replace the blade 'cuz it's bent beyond repair...which is $26 every time ya do that... So....while it may handle like a Rolls...it also costs as much as one; )

mhavanti

Threads
I suppose the Yardman deck may not float as much as much as the Hustler Raptor SD of mine. It still has some up and down travel. If your deck raises and lowers, it would almost have to have pivot points that allow some give upwards when you hit something with the wheels on the deck. Regardless, screwing up blades isn't cheap.

The set I installed last year are the yellow "Gator" blades purchased at Lowes. Super high lift and throw like across the street. Here is the link to them. Ridiculously high priced. However, they'll wade thru some 2 foot fodder while making short work of it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arnold-2-Pack-42-in-Multipurpose-Riding-Mower-Tractors-Mower-Blades/4367771

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
mikemich, ..... My Apologies, Thought I could get ya to crack a smile despite your troubling situation, Max is right, I sorta make fun of everything, ( warped sense of humor they say ) anyway as Max was saying, your deck should be able to float somewhat, doesn't your deck have anti-scalp wheels fitted ..?? if so there surely must be some limited up-and down movement, and have you found anything that might have bent the blades, I usually buy my blades @ Jackssmallengines.com, or repairclinic.com there are many "discount-stores" right in my neighborhood selling what I call schitt-material blades and I would never buy even at their low price, I have nicked and worn the hell outa my blades BUT NEVER bent one ..YET ! it just might be be the type of blades you're using, have you tried other brands ?? you may also have a problem with your deck mounting brackets, that might be worth a look, hope ya get this solved .... Boo

katewoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a question. I need to replace my deck belt. there
is a discrepancy as when I look at the belt number inside the hood it is a DIFFERENT number than what is in the owner manual...I am confused. My Mower is 13BF660G352 If I am correct the "G" stands for 42 " deck. Inside the hood it states 42" blade set...on the outside of the hood it states 42" 6 speed shift on the go. The deck belt is listed as OEM- 754-329A inside the hood. But the owners manual lists it as 754-371A when looking under a 42" "G" Deck. But when looking under a 38" "F" deck in the manual it is listed as the 754-329A So is my lawnmower marked incorrect...is it really a 38" deck or did they just put down the wrong belt number??? How can I tell?