More power for a GCV160?

thx712517

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there all. I've got a Honda 21" push mower with the GCV160 engine. I'm having a heck of a time mowing my yard as the engine bogs down with all my grass clippings and stalls out. I use the stacked twin mulching blade as an "upgrade" over the original single blade and leave the mulched clippings on the yard. Now I know the easiest fix for this is to mow more frequently, but there's a new baby in the house so some things get ignored for a while and the lawn is one of those things.

Anyway, I know in the future I'm grabbing a self-propelled Honda with the biggest engine I can find, but in the meantime (aka the next few years) is there anything I can do to my existing mower to boost torque and help it power through thick grass? The blade is six months old and still sharp (cut myself on it last night while scooping out built-up grass clippings from the deck), the filter is clean, oil is good, and gas is fresh. Mower is three years old.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

You could try adjusting the valves along with a fresh plug and air filter to try and increase power.

Not sure how tall your grass is before mowing, but if it gets real tall (6+"), any mower would probably stall out.

Regards

Jeff