Troy Bilt Pony Max Deck Height 2 1/2 inches?

brewsky

Threads
I've got a 2012 42" Pony with the 5 position deck height adjuster, and the absolute highest cut adjustment is 2 1/2" (in the top slot)?

I've leveled the deck, and checked for anything that looks bent, but don't see anything obviously wrong with the lift mechanism.

The new models I've checked look to have the same design, but the deck and lift part numbers are different...(changed in 2014).

Other comments on the web indicate this problem is common, with solutions recommended such as …...make up your own deck hangers, cut out a longer hole in the fender and re-position the handle notches, and get bigger tires?!?

Surely there is a better fix than that?

The lift handle on the newer models appears to be a beefier thickness, so maybe the handle is bent, but its shape is so convoluted, its hard to tell by looking.

Anyone else have this issue?

brewsky

Threads
Finally was able to get Troy Bilt "advanced" tech service and they recommended adding an extra pound of air pressure:laughing:

Pretty much said nothing else could be done,

Recommended raising the deck to max lift and seeing how far I could stick my foot under the deck before buying the next mower!

Moving the fender notches back about 1/2" gave an extra 1/4" of deck height (now 2-3/4" max)

Attachments

• notches.jpg
    notches.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 21

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly will the deck actually go higher in the frame without fouling on the belts ?
If so then the easiest thing to do is to make some new holes in the lift arms ( flat plates that go from the frame to the deck ).
Can either move the hole for the rods further forward, or the front pivot hole further back.
Doing the first will make the lift handle heavier in operation and doing the latter will shorten the belt run & might require a shorter belt.
Other than that you can shorten the lift rods which will require making new right angle bends ,

You could ask Troy bilt for the lengths of the new rods Vs the length of what you have on yours and see if the new ones are shorter.

brewsky

Threads
The deck will go higher, although the belt angle increases in the process.

There is another double pulley available for another mower model that is 7/16" shorter, with other dimensions identical, That would probably cure any excessive belt angle issue if used.

I thought about cutting the lift rods in two and threading the ends to accept a turnbuckle if they were a standard turnbuckle size. A straight rod or cable can't be used because it would rub the drive belt.

I could remove the lift handle (shown in attachment) and bend it more forward, (don't know how you would be able to tell if it was bent), but it looks like the easiest thing would be just move the notches more rearward on the fender.

Seems like a pretty questionable design to me.

Attachments

• troy bilt lift handle.jpg
    troy bilt lift handle.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 16