Walk behind HRX2172HMA rear axle not turning at all

CurlyMJM

Forum Newbie
Threads
My rear wheels do not turn at all. I have all the parts removed from both wheels and I cannot turn the axle shaft at all. I assume the issue must be in the transmission and I need a new one??? Aside: Is there another axle I could install to convert this to a push mower?

Thanks,
Mark

Ava.Feret

Threads
My rear wheels do not turn at all. I have all the parts removed from both wheels and I cannot turn the axle shaft at all. I assume the issue must be in the transmission and I need a new one??? Aside: Is there another axle I could install to convert this to a push mower?

Thanks,
Mark

Just take off the rear wheels and remove the 2 pinion gears.

CurlyMJM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Already did that. There is nothing connected to the axle shaft. It has to be frozen inside the transmission. Taking the whole mower apart to remove the transmission. Had one frozen engine bolt that took several cans of PB Blaster and hours to remove. Now the chute control won't come of to get to the roll pin. The damn thing is rusted so bad it's fused together:(

Ava.Feret

Threads
Mark,
When the gears are removed the rear wheels no longer are connected to the drive axle.
The wheels have bearings and they are on a separate axle.The wheels are on bearings. And #16 supports the wheel.
You just need some TLC and WD 40.

Attachments

• hrx216_rear_wheel.gif
    hrx216_rear_wheel.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 7

gotomow

Threads
Move the chute control to the middle setting. This will make getting the roll pin easier. Soak the area with PB Blaster. If you can get a plumbers insulating mat in there to protect the plastic parts you could also heat up that area. Most likely you will have to use a dremel cut off disc and cut the sucker out. Been there done that. Honda engines are great but sometimes that darn clip director assy gets in the way of what you are trying to do!

Last edited:

CurlyMJM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Used another full can of PB and tried the torch, still won't budge. Then I thought, why am I killing myself trying to get this fused rusted piece off just to remove the plastic shroud behind it. I grabbed the jigsaw and cut the plastic around the chute control and pulled the plastic piece right out. I was then able to remove the transmission with axle. Still cannot turn the axle shaft. So, I will be ordering a new transmission. See attached image. Whoops, need 2 more post before I can attach a pic. So, will post 2 dummy posts, then the pic.

Attachments

• Mower.jpg
    Mower.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 12