Careful buying belts from Tractor Supply

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Drive belt was slipping on the mower again. Go to the TSC website, type in the belt part number, and the belt comes up, but it's a different number. And I'm the description it said this is the new part number for that belt. So i I go to the store, find the belt, pay 29.99, go to put it on, about 3 inches too short. So right now I'm madder than a wet hen, Look on the cub Cadet website and I see nothing about the part number changing. So I called Cub cadet, and they confirmed that the belt number had not been changed. Luckily I found a MTD belt $5 more, but it will fit..

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some aftermarket belts are OK, some are not.
I have found that, with regard to MTD drive belts, it is best to use OEM belts.
Length differences aside, the angle of the "V" taper is apparently unique to MTD belts.
I had installed an "equivalent" belt on my MTD variable speed drive mower and had to
virtually shut the engine off in order to shift from forward to reverse, as the slightly different
taper of the belt would not release from the drive pulleys.

Deck belts may be fine to sub, but I stay with OEM on those as well.
Your Cub Cadet was probably made by MTD.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only cross refference that you can trust is Gates.
Their web site recognises nearly all of the mower companies part numbers and brings up an EXACT equivalent if Gates makes one ,
https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/landing/interchange
It will also recognise most USA belt makers part numbers, Rotary part numbers, Stens part numbers, most car part numbers .
Try it with the wrong belt and see what comes up.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for that link, Bert.