Repairs DIXIE CHOPPER WONT RUN WHEN HOT

sprystang

Forum Newbie
Threads
I GOT A 2009 DIXIE CHOPPER WITH A GENERAC 27 HP AND A 60" CUT. IT ONLY HAS 275 HOURS ON IT. I JUST USE IT FOR PERSONAL USE. THE LAST COUPLE OF TIMES I CUT GRASS THE MOWER WILL START FINE AND I CUT FOR AN HOUR THEN SHUT IT OFF AND IT WONT RESTART AGAIN. I NOTICED IF I LEAVE IT TO COOL DOWN FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, IT WILL FIRE UP AGAIN FINE LIKE NORMAL. ITS LIKE IT IS GETTING TOO HOT AND WONT RESTART. I RECENTLY DID AN OIL CHANGE, CHANGED BLADES, ADDED HYDRAULIC FLUID, AND BLEW OUT THE AIR FILTER. GAS IS FRESH. LIKE I SAID, IT WILL START EASY AND RUN PERFECT UNTIL IT GETS HOT, THEN IT WONT RESTART. TODAY WHEN I CUT GRASS AND PARKED IT IN THE GARAGE, I WENT TO RESTART IT AFTER A COUPLE OF HOURS AND NOW IT WONT EVEN START AND IT IS COLD. ITS GETTING RATHER ANNOYING....ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Arm your self with a can of carb cleaner ( to use as starter fluid ) and a in line spark tester.
Hook up the spark tester remove the plug and put a short shot down the plug hole then crank the engine.
Tester flashes = Spark is good
Engine fires = timing is good

Spray some down the carb and crank
Engine fires = valves are good

If it does not run from here then you have a fuel supply problem which could be anywhere from debris clogging the fuel outlet in the tank to the shut off solenoid ( if fitted ) to the carb not working.

So get this done & get back

sprystang

Forum Newbie
Threads
I understand what you are saying but would the timing change or the plug not fire only when it gets hot? When cold, it starts up perfect and runs absolutely fine for the entire time I am mowing for an hour or so and only when I shut it off for 2 minutes then try to start it when hot does it act funny. If I start it up cold and drive around the yard for a couple minutes and shut it off, it will start back up fine. Its almost like a sensor or an electrical switch or something like a oil temp sensor if there even is one? Just boggling my mind. I have tried starting fluid after its hot with no results, plug looks fine like its firing normal. I dont know. thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is not a space shuttle. it is a lawn mower fitted with an engine designed to be as simple as it is possible to make one.
So the testing proceedure is the same in every case.
Valve guides can shift when an engine gets hot as can the valve seat.
Valves can expand & stick when the engine gets hot.
cracked electrical connections can expand & go open circuit or circuits that are supposed to be open can close.
The magneto has a chip in it to trigger the spark, it is sensitive to heat, vibrations & electricial interfearence.

Heat might have absolutely nothing to do with it as is the case with debris in the tank blocking off the fuel supply which is time @ full throttle dependent .

Some of the results may not be relevant but it is a case of elimination.
Like a good cop, everything is a suspect till ruled out.

Those few steps will isolate the problem to one system or the other.
Plug condition is good to know but the spark is what we are worrying about which is why the spark tester is in there.

I have no intention on rewriting the service manual 25 times a day for the benefit of all the "won't start" posts.

Thus you get asked to do a few simple steps then post the results.
People who understand how these engines work will read your results and follow what is being done.

The other alternative is every one who has ever had a mower that did not start chimes in with whatever was their problem and you end up running from pillar to post.

And remember it started as a problem after the mower was running and has now progressed to a won't start at all situation.

Once the culprit has been found then you can start working out why it started to manifest itself after the engine had been running for a while.

Now if this approach is not what you feel inclined to do then simply say so & I will leave you alone.

sprystang

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok got plenty of fuel coming out of the line at the carb. no blockage there. I have a very weak spark apparently. so that is where i am at now.

Last edited: