1970 Model 7260

Mafioso812

Threads
Does anyone know what function the carburetor needle foley has? I have my dads old Lawn Boy, and have been through the carburetor, but can't find what this green knob does. Any help appreciated!

Russ2251

Threads
Are you referring to this?:

Attachments

• D-400 carb needle valve.jpg
    D-400 carb needle valve.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 18

Mafioso812

Threads
Yes. I have found since I posted, to set clockwise until seated, then two full turns counterclockwise. Mower still will not start.

Russ2251

Threads
Verify spark.
If you have spark, try a teaspoon of gas directly in cylinder.
Should run for a short burst.
If no fire, then very likely you have an ignition issue.
If runs for short burst then quits... then carb is in someway faulty.

Mafioso812

Threads
It does have spark, so I'll try gas directly into cylinder. I have replaced ignition coil, spark plug, carb gaskets, float, needle valve, and cleaned carburetor. Thank you for the help!

2smoked

Threads
Check for carbon plugged exhaust port. It could also be in need of fresh crankshaft seals.

Mafioso812

Threads
Thank you. I have since learned, it has only 25 lbs. of compression. I don't know if anything can help this old queen, or not. Would new rings take care of it? Or would it have to be bored, and new piston? I am no mechanic, but it's a family heirloom, and I want to save it if I can.

Teds

Threads
Thank you. I have since learned, it has only 25 lbs. of compression. Would new rings take care of it? Or would it have to be bored, and new piston? I am no mechanic, but it's a family heirloom, and I want to save it if I can.

Yes! A hundred times yes.

While strictly from a dollars & cents (or is it sense?) standpoint it may not be worth spending a lot of money on an old mower, it may not even need as much as you might think. First thing, Toro has thankfully maintained the LawnBoy maintenance manual in .PDF available for free download. My mom bought dear old dad a 7265 model for Father's Day, I still use it. It runs like a new mower, cuts great and is very lightweight and powerful.

Use the manual for disassembly and inspection. Take lots of pictures as you go. This will help jog your memory when putting everything back, it might be several weeks or months. I did my mower over the winter months, by spring it was ready and rarin' to go. The governor assemblies and other "fiddly bits" can be a little confusing if not. The parts aren't especially expensive. They use what are called needle bearings on the crankshaft and piston wrist pin and crankshaft. Also at the top and bottom are some rubber seals. These need replacing by now on general principles. To do a first class job, certain things should be replaced. It is not particularly difficult. Follow the LawnBoy manual, they really are put together well.

You can buy a tool called a "dingle hone", run by your electric drill. Pull the cylinder head and inspect it carefully. Often they just need a new crosshatch pattern to remove the carbon and "glaze", that's what the hone is for. Then a new set of rings on the old piston, throw in a new reed valve (inexpensive) and suddenly it's a "new" mower! I don't really _love_ cutting the grass, but these vintage mowers do such a great job it takes some of the drudgery out. The latest and greatest models are too heavy and "ain't got no soul", imo. They also plow through heavy, thick turf. Yes, we're not supposed to let the grass get too long, but it does happen. It doesn't slow down a lick.

Partstree.com has the exploded diagrams for these models. Armed with the right part #s you can search the interwebs and auction sites.

Mafioso812

Threads
Teds, that's great news! Sounds like you have a great love, like me, for the "oldie but goodies". I still have an old Schwinn Sting-Ray! I will get started on this project, with the help of all that you mentioned. Thank you for the response...what a great forum!

2smoked

Threads
Yes! A hundred times yes
While strictly from a dollars & cents (or is it sense?) standpoint it may not be worth spending a lot of money on an old mower, it may not even need as much as you might think. First thing, Toro has thankfully maintained the LawnBoy maintenance manual in .PDF available for free download. My mom bought dear old dad a 7265 model for Father's Day, I still use it. It runs like a new mower, cuts great and is very lightweight and powerful.

Use the manual for disassembly and inspection. Take lots of pictures as you go. This will help jog your memory when putting everything back, it might be several weeks or months. I did my mower over the winter months, by spring it was ready and rarin' to go. The governor assemblies and other "fiddly bits" can be a little confusing if not. The parts aren't especially expensive. They use what are called needle bearings on the crankshaft and piston wrist pin and crankshaft. Also at the top and bottom are some rubber seals. These need replacing by now on general principles. To do a first class job, certain things should be replaced. It is not particularly difficult. Follow the LawnBoy manual, they really are put together well.

You can buy a tool called a "dingle hone", run by your electric drill. Pull the cylinder head and inspect it carefully. Often they just need a new crosshatch pattern to remove the carbon and "glaze", that's what the hone is for. Then a new set of rings on the old piston, throw in a new reed valve (inexpensive) and suddenly it's a "new" mower! I don't really _love_ cutting the grass, but these vintage mowers do such a great job it takes some of the drudgery out. The latest and greatest models are too heavy and "ain't got no soul", imo. They also plow through heavy, thick turf. Yes, we're not supposed to let the grass get too long, but it does happen. It doesn't slow down a lick.

Partstree.com has the exploded diagrams for these models. Armed with the right part #s you can search the interwebs and auction sites.

Teds, you said it all better that I could. I am one of those guys that gets a happy feeling inside whenever I see someone using a nice looking classic Lawn Boy while cutting grass.